The purpose of this study is to assess how Immersive Virtual Reality effects the intensity of (pain, tiredness, mood and sensory responses) in people with chronic back pain
- Study participants will complete two Immersive Virtual Reality experiences over two visits to the Virtual Reality Lab at Tufts University
- Study participants will receive up to $80 if all study activities are completed.In addition, participants will be reimbursed up to $40 to cover travel costs.
- Between 20 and 75 years of age
- Experiencing back or neck pain that has lasted greater than 3 months
- Back pain non-cancer-related
- Back pain due to a rheumatic disease (e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia) or
- You have a central neurological disorder (e.g. stroke, multiple sclerosis, spinal cord injury); Epilepsy or other seizure, or
- Do not own a cell phone or tablet.
In this study you will complete two Immersive Virtual Reality experiences over two visits at the Virtual Reality Lab at Tufts University. One Immersive Virtual Reality experience will be 10-minutes long, the other 20-minutes. Before you come for those visits there will be a remote session (done from your home) to complete initial paperwork. After completing this session you will complete a short symptom (pain, tiredness, and mood) assessment survey 3 times a day for one week, at home, using your cell phone or tablet. Next, you will complete the 2 Immersive Virtual Reality experience visits at Tufts University. After each of these, you will complete 3 more days of reporting on your symptoms, 3 times a day using your cell phone or tablet.
If you participate in thisstudy you will receive up to $80 if you complete all study activities. In addition we will reimburse up to $40 for travel costs.