The purpose of this study is to provide remdesivir (RDV) to participants with severe COVID-19. The primary objective of this study is to evaluate the efficacy of 2 RDV regimens with respect to the normalization of temperature and oxygen saturation through Day 14.
- SARS-CoV-2 infection confirmed by PCR ≤ 4 days before randomization
- Currently hospitalized with fever defined as temperature ≥ 36.6 °C armpit, ≥ 37.2 °C oral, ≥ 37.8 °C rectal
- Radiographic evidence of pulmonary infiltrates
- Participation in any other clinical trial of an experimental agent treatment for COVID-19
- Concurrent treatment with other agents with actual or possible direct acting antiviral activity against SARS-CoV-2 is prohibited < 24 hours prior to study drug dosing
- Requiring mechanical ventilation at screening
If you qualify and agree to be in the study, you will be randomized to be in one of two study groups. Study Group 1 – You will get standard of care treatment together with Remdesivir (RDV) 200mg by vein Day 1 and then RDV 100mg on Days 2, 3, 4 and 5. Study.
Group 2 – You will get standard of care treatment together with Remdesivir (RDV) 200mg on Day 1 and then RDV 100mg by vein on Days 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10.
The study screening period can last up to 3 days, and treatment period and follow up will be for 28 days.
You will have daily physical examination. You will have your blood taken for study testing at the screening visit and on days 1, 3, 5, 8, 10 and 14. Your doctor may also take your blood for testing on other days if they think they should. There will be a 28 day follow up visit. If you are already discharged from the hospital, 28 day follow up will be done by phone call