The purpose of this study is to measure the effect of maternal diet and metabolism (how your body uses food for energy) on the growth of the baby, and how the placenta uses lipids.
- GA > 8 weeks - <16 weeks.
- Planning to deliver at Tufts Medical Center
- Able to comply with consuming study-provided prenatal vitamins
- History of gestational diabetes, hypertension, pre-term birth or small-for gestational age in prior pregnancy.
- Multiple gestation (ie. twins, triplets).
- Maternal smoking during current pregnancy
Participants will have two 1/2 day study visits in early pregnancy (12-16 weeks gestation), and two in late pregnancy (34-36 weeks) at the Human Nutrition Research Center to measure maternal body composition, diet and metabolism. About 3 tablespoons of blood will be drawn at each visit. After delivery, the placenta will be collected, and baby measurements of growth will be performed.