This study is evaluating the potential to use transcranial magnetic stimulation in diagnosis of diagnosis of neurologic conditions that effect movement. We are seeking healthy volunteers and participants with a neurologic condition that affects the ability to move parts of your body.
- Adult with neuromuscular conditions
- Ability to provide informed consent
- At least 18 years of age
- Any metal, metal fragment, or metal/electronic device in the head or spine
- History of seizure, stroke, brain tumor, chronic metabolic derangements (diabetes, kidney and/or liver disease), or drug use
- Current daily use of medications that may lower seizure threshold (this criterion is subject to the investigator’s judgement.)
This study will be conducted in 1 day lasting about 90-120 minutes. The study visit will include, a questionnaire about your medical history, a physical exam, and the study test in which non-invasive probes will be placed on your scalp and one of your limbs which will then be connected to an EMG machine that will record your activity. During this test we will use a TMS machine that will create a small twitch in a painless and noninvasive way.
Some subjects may be required to come back for 2 more testing sessions, identical to the original session. These sessions would be separated by days-weeks apart depending on the avaiablity of the patient and physician. Subjects will receive a payment of $40 upon the completion of each session for their time and effort.