This is a survey of parents whose children are admitted to the PICU, investigating how life stressors impact the time they spendin the hospital during their child's PICU stay. To the best of our knowledge, no previous research has assessed the vovariance of parental stressors within and outside the hospital environment with the amount of time parents spend within the PICU. We hypothesize that secondary stressors such as work obligations, child care needs, financial stress, family medical needs, and distance from home, as well as comfort within the hospital will show correlation with time spent within the PICU for parents.
- Parent(s) or legal guardian(s) of admitted patient, with no limitations on age or number of family respondents per PICU patient.
- Sufficient English language reading ability ot communicate with researchers and complete the survey.
- Available in-person to complete survey within 48 hours of discharge or transfer out of PICU.
- Involvement of DCF for concerns of potential non-accidental trauma as reason for admission.
- PICU stay ending in death of child
- Duration of stay <24 hours in PICU
Stuydy participation will consist of one 10-15 minute survey administered in person by a research coordinator after discharge from the PICU.