The main purpose of this study is to evaluate safety and efficacy of three doses of the study drug, GLPG1972 compared to placebo. The study drug will be administered as an oral pill daily. This drug aims to reduce the cartilate breakdown in patients with knee osteoarthritis (OA). GLPG1972 is being tested and is not approved for use for patients with knee OA by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
- Subject must have knee pain for at least 6 months
- Subject must have tried systemic non-steroid anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) and/or other analgesics for knee pain
- Subject must be willing to undergo knee MRI exam
- Subject who has inflammatory diseases
- Subject who has hypersensitivity to lactose
This study will take approximately 61 weeks to complete and will require at least 10 visits to Tufts Medical Center. Each visit will take approximately 1 to 3 hours. At these visits, physical examination, electrocardiogram (ECG), vital signs will be performed. Your blood and urine samples will be collected to check your health at each visit. There will be two X-rays of your knees and 3 MRI scans of your knee throughout the study.