|Programs + Specialties
||Heart failure and diabetes, metabolic dysfunction and obesity, pregnancy and heart disease
|Training + Education
Imperial College School of Medicine, London, UK; Chelsea and Westminster Hospital, London, UK; Boston University Medical Center; Cleveland Clinic
||Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease
Tufts Medical Center
South Building, 6th Floor
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Fax #: 617-636-6030
Phone #: 617-636-8068
2016, Tufts CTSI pilot study grant award
2015, Masters of Public Health, Harvard TH Chan School of Public Health
2014, Cleveland Clinic Excellence in Teaching Award
2013, Razavi Award for Clinical Excellence, Cleveland Clinic Cardiovascular Medicine Fellowship
2013, Tomsich Award for Excellence in Research, Cleveland Clinic Cardiovascular Medicine Fellowship
2012, Women in Cardiology Trainee Award for Excellence, American Heart Association
2009, Alpha Omega Alpha membership, Boston University Chapter
1. AR Vest, SM Mistak, R Hachamovitch, MM Mountis, N Moazami, JB Young. Outcomes for Patients with Diabetes after Continuous-Flow Left Ventricular Assist Device Implantation. J Card Fail; published online ahead of print February 25th 2016.
2. AR Vest, P Patel, PR Schauer, ME Satava, JL Cavalcante, SA Brethauer, JB Young. Clinical and Echocardiographic Outcomes After Bariatric Surgery in Obese Patients With Left Ventricular Systolic Dysfunction. Circulation: Heart Failure; published online ahead of print March 5th 2016.
3. AR Vest, PR Schauer, JB Young. Failure and Fatness: Could Surgical Management of Obesity Reduce Heart Failure Hospitalizations? J Am Coll Cardiol. 2016;67(8):904–6.
4. JS Kuttab, MS Kiernan, AR Vest. Epidemiology of ‘Heart Failure with Recovered Ejection Fraction’: What Do We Do After Recovery? Current Heart Failure Reports. 2015;12:360-366.
5. AR Vest, Y Wu, R Hachamovitch, JB Young, LS Cho.The Heart Failure Overweight/Obesity Survival Paradox: The Missing Gender Link. JACC: Heart Failure. 2015;3(11):917-926.
6. M Colvin-Adams, NK Sweitzer, NR Albert, R Krishnamani, MW Rich, WG Stough, MN Walsh, CAW Canary, LA Allen, MR Bonnell, E Carson, MC Chan, MG Dickinson, DL Dries, GA Ewald, JC Fang, AF Hernandez, RE Hershberger, SD Katz, S Moore, JE Rodgers, JG Rogers, AR Vest, DJ Whellan, MM Givertz. Heart Failure in Non-Caucasians, Women, and Older Adults: A White Paper on Special Populations from the Heart Failure Society of America Guideline Committee. J Card Fail 2015;21(8):674–93.
7. JC Fang, GA Ewald, LA Allen, J Butler, CA Westlake Canary, M Colvin-Adams, MG Dickinson, P Levy P, W Gattis Stough, NK Sweitzer, JR Teerlink, DJ Whellan, NM Albert, R Krishnamani, MW Rich, MN Walsh, MR Bonnell, PE Carson, MC Chan, DL Dries, AF Hernandez, RE Hershberger, SD Katz, S Moore, JE Rodgers, JG Rogers, AR Vest, MM Givertz. Advanced (Stage D) Heart Failure: A Statement from the Heart Failure Society of America Guidelines Committee. J Card Fail 2015;21(6):519–534.
8. NK Kapur, AR Vest, J Cook, MS Kiernan. Pump Thrombosis: A Limitation of Contemporary Left Ventricular Assist Devices. Current Problems in Cardiology. Published online March 2015.
9. AR Vest. Incretin-Related Drug Therapy in Heart Failure. Current Heart Failure Reports 2015 Feb;12(1):24–32.
10. AR Vest, JB Young. Should We Target Obesity In Advanced Heart Failure? Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine 2014 Feb;16(2):284-298.
11. AR Vest, LS Cho. Hypertension in Pregnancy. Current Atherosclerosis Reports 2014 Mar;16(3):395–406.
12. AR Vest, HM Heneghan, PR Schauer, JB Young. Surgical Management of Obesity and the Relationship to Cardiovascular Disease. Circulation 2013 Feb. 26;127(8):945–959.
13. AR Vest, HM Heneghan, S Agarwal, PR Schauer, JB Young. Bariatric Surgery and Cardiovascular Outcomes: A Systematic Review. Heart 2012 Oct. 17;98:1763–1777.
14. AR Vest, LS Cho. Hypertension in Pregnancy. Cardiology Clinics 2012; 30(3):407–423.
I am originally from the United Kingdom and completed medical school and internship at Imperial College London, before moving to Boston for residency training in 2006. After 3 years of internal medicine residency at Boston University Medical Center and an additional chief resident year, I moved to Cleveland Clinic for specialty training in cardiology. I completed an additional year of fellowship in advanced heart failure, gaining experience in heart transplantation and ventricular assist devices (VADs). My research interests are based around the interactions between the heart muscle and metabolic dysfunction. My earlier research work was focused on the relationship between obesity and heart disease, including the impact of bariatric surgery on heart health. I am currently working with Nutrition experts at Tufts to better understand changes in body composition, food intake and physical activity that occur during heart failure. Clinically, I mostly see patients with heart failure and in particular those who are being considered for, or have received, a ventricular assist device (VAD) or heart transplantation.
Membership of American Heart Association
Heart Failure Society of America
International Society of Heart and Lung Transplantation
Alpha Omega Alpha