|Programs + Specialties
||The discovery and testing of novel and targeted therapeutic agents in lymphoma, lymphoma biology and signal transduction pathways, the prognosis and treatment of lymphomas, lymphoma epidemiology, lymphoma health outcomes, including pharmacovigilance
|Training + Education
Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine; Lutheran General Hospital, Illinois; Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and the Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center
||Hematology, Medical Oncology
Tufts Medical Center
South Building, 8th Floor
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Fax #: 617-636-7060
Phone #: 617-636-6227
2013, Meet the Professor (Hodgkin lymphoma): Lugano ICML; and ASH Annual Meeting
2008 – 2009, Teaching Attending of the Year, Division of Hematology/Oncology, Northwestern University
2008 – 2009, Annual Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University
2005, Compassionate Care Annual Award, The Woman’s Board of Northwestern Memorial Hospital
2002, Translational Research Award (most outstanding research presentation), ECOG’s Young Investigators Clinical Scientist Symposium, National ECOG Meeting, Miami, FL
1998, First Place, Clinical Vignette for ACP Illinois Chapter Regional Meeting, Chicago, IL
1996, Intern of the Year (class size: 35), Internal Medicine, Lutheran General, Park Ridge, IL
1994, Sigma Sigma Phi, National Osteopathic Honor Society, Downers Grove, IL
1991, Magna Cum Laude, Biochemistry, Saint Joseph’s College, Rensselaer, IN
1989, Bill Bradley Academic All-American, NCAA College Basketball
1. Evens AM, Altman JK, Mittal BB, Hou N, Rademaker A, Patton D, Kaminer L, Williams S, Duffey S, Variakojis D, Singhal S, Tallman MS, Mehta J, Winter JN, Gordon LI. Phase I/II Trial of Total Lymphoid Irradiation and High-Dose Chemotherapy with Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for Relapsed and Refractory Hodgkin Lymphoma. Annals of Oncology 2007; 18:679-88. PMID: 17307757
2. *Evens AM, Winter JN, Hou N, Nelson BP, Rademaker A, Patton D, Singhal S, Frankfurt O, Tallman MS, Rosen ST, Mehta J, Gordon LI. A Phase II Clinical Trial of Intensive Chemotherapy Followed by Consolidative Stem Cell Transplant: Long-Term Follow-up in Newly Diagnosed Mantle Cell Lymphoma. British Journal of Haematology; 2008; 140:385-93. PMID: 18162124
3. *Evens AM, Spies WG, Helenowski IB, Patton D, Spies S, Jovanovic BD, Miyata S, Hamilton E, Variakojis D, Chen J, Naumovski L, Rosen ST, Winter JN, Miller RA, Gordon LI. The Novel Expanded Porphyrin, Motexafin Gadolinium, Combined with [90Y] Ibritumomab Tiuxetan for Relapsed/Refractory Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma: Preclinical Findings and Results of a Phase I Trial. Clinical Cancer Research. 2009; 15:6462-71. PMID: 19825958
4. *Evens AM, David KA, Helenowski IB, Nelson B, Kaufman D, Kircher S, Gimelfarb, Hattersley E, Mauro L, Jovanovic B, Chadburn AM, Stiff P, Winter JN, Mehta J, Van Besien K, Gregory SA, Gordon LI, Shammo JM, Smith S, Smith SM. Multicenter Analysis of 80 Solid Organ Transplant Recipients with Posttransplantation Lymphoproliferative Disease (PTLD): Outcomes and Prognostic Factors in the Modern Era. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2010; 28:1038-46. PMID: 20085936
5. *Evens AM, Sehn LH, Farinha P, Nelson BP, Raji A, Lu Y, Brakman A, Parimi V, Winter JN, Schumacker PT, Gascoyne RD, Gordon LI. Hypoxia-Inducible Factor-1 Alpha (HIF-1α) Expression Predicts Superior Survival in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma Patients Treated With R-CHOP. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2010; 28:1017-24. PMID: 20048181
6. *Evens AM, Jovanovic BD, Su YC, Raisch DW, Ganger D, Belknap S, Dai MS, Chiu BCH, Fintel B, Cheng Y, Chuang SS, Lee MY, Chen TY, Lin SF, Kuo CY. Rituximab¬-associated hepatitis B virus (HBV) reactivation in lymphooproliferative diseases: meta-analysis and examination of FDA safety reports. Annals of Oncology. 2011. 22:1170-80. PMID: 21115603
7. *Evens AM, Helenowski I, Ramsdale E, Nabhan C, Karmali R, Hanson B, Parsons B, Smith S, Larsen A, McKoy JM, Jovanovic B, Gregory S, Gordon LI, Smith SM. A retrospective multicenter analysis of elderly Hodgkin lymphoma: outcomes and prognostic factors in the modern era. Blood. 2012; 119:692-5. PMID: 22117038
8. *Evens AM, Vanderplas A, LaCasce AS, Crosby AL, Nademanee AP, Kaminski MS, Abel GA, Millenson M, Czuczman MS, Rodriguez MA, Niland J, Zelenetz AD, Gordon LI, Friedberg JW. Stem Cell Transplantation for Follicular Lymphoma Relapsed/Refractory After Prior Rituximab: A Comprehensive Analysis from the NCCN Lymphoma Outcomes Project. Cancer. 2013 Aug 6. [Epub ahead of print]; PMID: 23921646
9. *Evens AM, Rosen ST, Helenowski I, Kline J, Larsen A, Colvin J, Winter JN, Van Besien KM, Gordon LI, Smith SM. A Phase I/II Trial of Bortezomib Combined Concurrently with Gemcitabine for Relapsed or Refractory DLBCL and Peripheral T-cell Lymphomas. British Journal of Haematology. 2013 Aug 8. [Epub ahead of print]; PMID: 2392737
10. Evens AM, Advani R, Press OW, Lossos IS, Vose JM, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, Robinson BK, Otis S, Dagan LN, Abdallah R, Kroll A, Yarber JL, Sandoval J, Parker LM, Gordon LI, Blum KA, Flowers C, Leonard JP, Habermann TM, Bartlett NL. Lymphoma Occurring During Pregnancy: Antenatal Therapy, Complications, and Maternal Survival in a Multicenter Analysis. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 2013 Sep 16. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 24043736.
Following graduation with honors from the Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine at Midwestern University, Dr. Evens completed his Internal Medicine residency at Lutheran General Hospital and he served an additional year as Chief Medical Resident. Dr. Evens subsequently completed his Hematology/Oncology fellowship at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine and The Robert H. Lurie Comprehensive Cancer Center (RHLCCC). During fellowship, Dr. Evens also completed a Masters of Science in Clinical Investigation at Northwestern University. He is board certified in Hematology and Medical Oncology. Dr. Evens was a faculty member in the Division of Hematology/Oncology at Northwestern University and the RHLCCC through December 2010. He subsequently was a faculty member at the University of Massachusetts Medical School and the UMass Memorial Cancer Center (UMMCC) where he served as the Deputy Director of the UMMCC for Clinical and Translational Research. At Tufts MC, Dr. Evens is the Chief of the Division of Hematology/Oncology, Director of the Lymphoma Program, and Director of the Tufts Cancer Center.
Dr. Evens is a National and International expert in the biology, prognosis, and treatment of Non-Hodgkin lymphoma and Hodgkin disease/lymphoma. His clinical and research interests are dedicated wholly towards lymphoma, including bone marrow/stem cell transplantation (SCT). Over the past 10 years, Dr. Evens has been the principal investigator for >60 lymphoma clinical trials that have included phase I, II, and III studies- a number of which have been investigator-initiated clinical trials studying novel therapeutic agents for the treatment of lymphoma. Dr. Evens also maintains an active translational lymphoma laboratory studying lymphoma biology, signal transduction pathways, free radical-mediated biology, and the development of novel targeted agents for the treatment of lymphoma.
His work has been funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the National Cancer Institutes (NCI), including a prior 5-year K23 grant entitled 'Targeting the Mitochondria to Treat Lymphoma' and a currently funded R01 entitled 'MAP Kinase Signaling in Lymphoma: A Novel Therapeutic Paradigm'. Dr. Evens has presented >120 research abstracts at National and International meetings (including >20 peer reviewed oral research presentations), written >10 book chapters, and he has published >110 manuscripts (including >75 original research articles) with a particular emphasis on the biology, prognosis, and treatment of lymphoma in a number of journals including the New England Journal of Medicine, Journal of American Medical Association, Blood, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Clinical Cancer Research, British Journal of Haematology, and Annals of Internal Medicine. Additionally, Dr. Evens is an Associate Editor for the British Journal of Haematology and on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Clinical Oncology.
Dr. Evens is a primary member of the select Hodgkin Lymphoma Working Group for the NIH/NCI Steering Committee and he is Chair of the Hematology Review Panel (R01) for the NIH/NCI VA Scientific Merit Review. He is also a “Core Member” of the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) Lymphoma committee. Further, he is the ECOG Principal Investigator for several National clinical trials including high-risk follicular lymphoma (E2408, NCT01216683) and newly diagnosed (S0816) Hodgkin’s disease/lymphoma. Dr. Evens is also involved in several collaborations with investigators throughout the New England region, nationally, and internationally that include research on Hodgkin lymphoma, post-transplant lymphomproliferative disorders (PTLD), and epidemiological lymphoma research. He co-chairs an annual Chicago Lymphoma Symposium (www.chicagolymphoma.com) and he chairs a regional lymphoma collaborative educational effort through the Lymphoma Research Foundation (New England Lymphoma Rounds).
American Society of Hematology (ASH)
American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG): Lymphoma ‘Core Committee’ Member
National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), Hodgkin disease/lymphoma, primary member
Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma, secondary member (2007-2010)
Primary/voting member, ECOG Laboratory Science Advisory Committee
Primary/voting member, Developmental Therapeutics committee, ECOG
Clinical Trial Design & Development Working Group, Quantitative Imaging Network (QIN) with CTEP and NIH
Hodgkin Lymphoma Working Group member (NIH/NCI Steering Committee Subgroup)
Associate Editor, British Journal of Haematology