Don't see an appointment time? Request directly with the clinic.
|Training + Education
Boston University School of Medicine; Tufts Medical Center; State University of New York, Stony Brook
Tufts Medical Center
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Fax #: 617-636-7128
Phone #: 617-636-7216
2014-2016, Castle Connolly Top Doctor
2016, Teacher of the Year, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Tufts Medical Center
2015, Named “One of the Top 100 Most Influential Laboratory Medicine Professionals in the World” by The Pathologist
2015, Outstanding Speaker Award, American Association for Clinical Chemistry
2014, Distinguished Patient Care Award, College of American Pathologists
2014, Gene and Jean Herbek Humanitarian Award, College of American Pathologists Foundation
2012, Outstanding Communicator Award, College of American Pathologists
2002 and 2003, Outstanding Speaker Award, American Association for Clinical Chemistry
1. The Clinical Toxicology Laboratory: Contemporary Practice of Poisoning Evaluation., Second Edition, Kwong TC, Magnani BJ, Rosano TG, Shaw LM, Editors. American Association for Clinical Chemistry, 2013; 525 pages.
2. Clinical Toxicology Testing: A Guide for Laboratory Professionals. Magnani BJ, Bissell M, Kwong T and Wu A, Editors. CAP Press, 2012; 286 pages.
3. Magnani, BJ. Lily Robinson and the Art of Secret Poisoning. nVision Press, 2011. New York, NY.
4. Chen, H and Magnani, BJ. Case study: Excipients can cause recurrent Pneumonia in Intravenous Drug Users. Clinical Forensic &Toxicology News, AACC Press, June 2014.
5. Magnani, BJ. Chronic Pain Management: Urine Drug Tests Provide Important Tool in Monitoring Patient Compliance. Clinical Forensic &Toxicology News. AACC Press, March 2014.
6. Cobaugh DJ, Gainor C, Gaston C, Kwong TC, Magnani BJ, McPherson L, Painter J, and Krenzelok E. The opioid abuse and misuse epidemic: Implications for pharmacists in hospitals and health systems. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy 71, 2014, e82-e97 (invited review).
7. Yu, Hoi-Ying and Magnani, BJ. Acetaminophen and Salicylate in The Clinical Toxicology Laboratory: Contemporary Practice of Poisoning Evaluation, Second Edition, Kwong TC, Magnani BJ, Rosano TG, Shaw LM, Editors. American Association for Clinical Chemistry, 2013, pgs. 189-202.
8. Alan H.B. Wu PhD; Kent Lewandrowski MD; Ann Gronowski PhD; David Grenache PhD; Lori Sokoll PhD; Barbarajean Magnani, PhD, MD. Antiquated Tests within the Clinical Pathology Laboratory. American Journal of Managed Care 2010; 16(9):e220-2227.
9. Melanson S, Baskin L, Magnani BJ, Kwong TC, Dizon A, Wu A. Interpretation and Utility of Drug of Abuse Immunoassays: Lessons from Laboratory Drug Testing Surveys. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine 2010; 134: 735-739.
10. Magnani, BJ and Woolf, A. “Cardiotoxic Plants” in Critical Care Toxicology, Diagnosis and Management of the Critically Poisoned Patient. Brent J, Wallace K, Burkhart K, Phillips S, Donovan W, Eds. Mosby, 2005, pages 1325-1334.
2014, College of American Pathologists National Meeting, H1278 The Visible Pathologist. Co-Faculty. Chicago, IL.
2014, College of American Pathologists National Meeting. R1463 Supporting the Pain Service: What do those toxicology results mean? Chicago, IL.
2013, 2nd Annual Addiction Medicine for all Providers: A Risk Management Program. Drug Testing for Chronic Pain Management. Faculty. Massachusetts Medical Society and Massachusetts Society of Addiction Medicine.
2012, Plenary Speaker, Society of Forensic Toxicologists. Of Toxins and Subplots (the fictional pathologist). Boston, MA.
2011, 38th Annual Florida Medical Examiners Educational Conference. “Death Takes a Holiday”. Homicidal and Suicidal Poisonings.
Barbarajean Magnani, PhD, MD, Pathologist-in-Chief, Tufts Medical Center and Professor and Chair of Anatomic and Clinical Pathology (and Professor of Medicine) at Tufts University School of Medicine, is internationally recognized for her expertise in the field of laboratory medicine, specifically in clinical chemistry and toxicology. She has presented numerous workshops and seminars in the field and has received three Outstanding Speaker Awards from the Association for Clinical Chemistry (AACC), as well as a Recognition Award for Significant Service from the Massachusetts Poison Control Systems in Boston. In addition, Dr. Magnani received the 2012 Outstanding Communicator Award, the 2014 Distinguished Patient Care Award, and the 2014 Gene and Jean Herbek Humanitarian Award from the College of American Pathologists (CAP)/CAP Foundation, the leading organization for board-certified pathologists. She was also named as one of the Top 100 Most Influential Laboratory Medicine Professionals in the World by The Pathologist in 2015.
Dr. Magnani has served as the member-at-large of the TDM and Toxicology Division of the AACC, as well as an editor of Clinical and Forensic Toxicology News. She served as a member of the Council on Scientific Affairs for the CAP and as Chair and Vice-Chair of the CAP Toxicology Resource Committee. Dr. Magnani is also the author of Lily Robinson and the Art of Secret Poisoning (nVision Press), as well as one of the editors of The Clinical Toxicology Laboratory: Contemporary Practice of Poisoning Evaluation, 2nd edition (AACC Press) and Clinical Toxicology Testing: A Guide for Laboratory Professionals (CAP Press).