Locations + Directions
Tufts Medical Center
35 Kneeland St.
Box 391 Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-5866
Fax #: 617-636-2369
Honors + Awards
2021, "Top Doctor", Boston Magazine
2020, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2019, ASN Distinguished Leader Award
2018/2019, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2017, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
Publications + National Presentations
1. Bethany Roehm, Amanda R Vest, Daniel E Weiner. Left Ventricular Assist Devices, and Dialysis. Am J Kidney Dis 71(2):257-266, 2018.
2. Tamara Isakova, Thomas L Nickolas, Michelle Denburg, Sri Yarlagadda, Daniel E Weiner, Orlando M Gutiérrez, Vinod Bansal, Sylvia E Rosas, Sagar Nigwekar, Jerry Yee, Holly Kramer. KDOQI US Commentary on the 2017 KDIGO Clinical Practice Guideline Update for the Diagnosis, Evaluation, Prevention, and Treatment of Chronic Kidney Disease-Mineral and Bone Disorder (CKD-MBD). Am J Kidney Dis 70(6):737-751, 2017
3. Daniel R Berlowitz, Capri G Foy, Lewis E Kazis, LP Bolin, Margaret B Conroy, P Fitzpatrick, TR Gure, Paul L Kimmel, K Kirchner, DE Morisky, J Newman, C Olney, Suzanne Oparil, Nicholas M Pajewski, J Powell, T Ramsey, Debra L Simmons, Jonie Snyder, Mark A Supiano, Daniel E Weiner, Jeffrey Whittle; SPRINT Research Group. Effect of Intensive Blood-Pressure Treatment on Patient-Reported Outcomes. N Engl J Med 377(8):733-744, 2017
4. Daniel E Weiner, Sarah A Gaussoin, John Nord, Alexander P Auchus, Gordon J Chelune, Michel M Chonchol, Laura Coker, William E Haley, Anthony A Killeen, Paul L Kimmel, Alan J Lerner, Suzanne Oparil, Mohammed G Saklayen, Yelena M Slinin, Clinton B Wright, Jeff D Williamson, Manjula Kurella Tamura; SPRINT Study Research Group. Cognitive Function and Kidney Disease: Baseline Data From the Systolic Blood Pressure Intervention Trial (SPRINT). Am J Kidney Dis 70(3):357-367, 2017
5. Keren Ladin, Katie Buttafarro, Emily Hahn, Susan Koch-Weser S, Daniel E Weiner. "End-of-Life Care? I'm not Going to Worry About That Yet." Health Literacy Gaps and End-of-Life Planning Among Elderly Dialysis Patients. Gerontologist 2017
6. Daniel E Weiner, Suzanne Watnick. The ESRD Quality Incentive Program-Can We Bridge the Chasm? J Am Soc Nephrol 28(6):1697-1706, 2017
7. Holly Kramer, Jerry Yee, Daniel E Weiner, Vinod Bansal, Michael J Choi, Laura Brereton, Jeffrey S Berns, Millie Samaniego-Picota, P Scheel Jr, Michael Rocco. Ultrafiltration Rate Thresholds in Maintenance Hemodialysis: an NKF-KDOQI Controversies Report. Am J Kidney Dis 68(4):522-32, 2016
8. Dana C Miskulin, Karen Majchrzak, Hocine Tighiouart, Richard S Muther, Toros Kapoian, Douglas S Johnson, Daniel E Weiner. Ergocalciferol supplementation in vitamin D deficient HD patients: a randomized clinical trial. J Am Soc Nephrol 27(6):1801-10, 2016
9. SPRINT Research Group. A randomized trial of intensive versus standard blood pressure control. N Engl J Med 373(22):2103-16, 2015
10. Daniel E Weiner, Steven M Brunelli, Abigail Hunt, Brigitte Schiller, Richard Glassock, Frank W Maddux, Douglas Johnson, Tom Parker, Allen Nissenson. Improving Clinical Outcomes among Hemodialysis Patients: A Proposal for a ‘Volume First’ Approach from the Chief Medical Officers of US Dialysis Providers. Am J Kidney Dis 64(5):685-95, 2014
11. Daniel E Weiner, Hocine Tighiouart, Vlad Ladik, Klemens B Meyer, Philip G Zager, Douglas Johnson. Oral intradialytic nutritional supplement use and mortality in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis 63(2):276-85, 2014
12. Daniel E. Weiner, Wolfgang C. Winkelmayer. Kidney Disease and Cardiovascular Risk: Whether Black or White Race Matters. JAMA 310(7):697-698, 2013
13. Daniel E Weiner, Michael D McClean, James S Kaufman, Daniel R Brooks. The Central American Epidemic of CKD. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 8(3):504-11, 2013
14. Daniel E Weiner, Myra A Carpenter, Andrew S Levey, Anastasia Ivanova, Edward H Cole, Lawrence Hunsicker, Bertram L Kasiske, S John Kim, John W Kusek, Andrew G Bostom. Kidney function and risk of cardiovascular disease and mortality in kidney transplant recipients: the FAVORIT Trial. Am J Transplant 12(9):2437-45, 2012
15. Daniel E Weiner, Tammy M Scott, Lena M Giang, Brian T Agganis, Eric P Sorensen, Hocine Tighiouart, Mark J Sarnak. Cardiovascular Disease and Cognitive Function in Maintenance Hemodialysis Patients. Am J Kidney Dis 58(5):773-81, 2011
16. Daniel E Weiner, Dana C Miskulin. Anemia management in CKD: bursting the hemoglobin bubble. Ann Intern Med 153(1): 53-55, 2010
17. Essam F. Elsayed, Hocine Tighiouart, John L Griffith, Tobias Kurth, Andrew S. Levey, Deeb N Salem, Mark J Sarnak, Daniel E Weiner. Cardiovascular Disease and Subsequent Kidney Disease. Archives Int Med 167(11): 1130-1136, 2007
News, Media + Videos
Dr. Weiner’s clinical specialties are dialysis and hypertension. He has a specialty clinic at Tufts Medical Center for difficult to manage hypertension. Other clinical interests include general nephrology and chronic kidney diseases and inpatient care of individuals with kidney disease. Dr. Weiner is the Associate Medical Director of DCI Boston and treats home dialysis patients at DCI Somerville. In this role, he is working to enhance care for dialysis patients and dialysis education at Tufts Medical Center.
Other Professional Activities
Dr. Weiner is the current Policy Forum Editor of the American Journal of Kidney Diseases and was Deputy Editor of the American Journal of Kidney Diseases from 2006-2016.
Dr. Weiner, in conjunction with Dr. Gilbert, is the editor-in-chief of the National Kidney Foundation’s Primer on Kidney Diseases, 6th and 7th editions, a leading nephrology textbook.
Dr. Weiner is the Medical Director of Clinical Research for Dialysis Clinic, Inc, the leading not-for-profit provider of dialysis care in the United States.
Dr. Weiner is the Chair of American Society of Nephrology’s Quality Committee, which interfaces with regulation and legislation impacting US nephrology practice for the leading nephrology society in the United States. He has been a member of four Technical Expert Panels charged with developing metrics for CMS to apply to clinical care and is the chair of the 2018 ESRD Technical Expert Panel on Physician Level Measures in Dialysis.
Dr. Weiner was the co-chair of the 2015 National Kidney Foundation Spring Clinical Meetings and the Chair of the 2016 National Kidney Foundation Spring Clinical Meetings. He served a total of five years as a member of the NKF Spring Clinical Meetings program committee.
Dr. Weiner is a member of the National Kidney Foundation (NKF) Kidney Disease Outcomes Quality Initiative (KDOQI) Workgroup for Hemodialysis Adequacy (2015), the NKF KDOQI Workgroup for Mineral and Bone Disorder (2017), and the NKF KDOQI Workgroup for Blood Pressure (2018), contributing to clinical guidelines in kidney care in the United States.
Dr. Weiner has been an active grant reviewer for the National Institutes of Health, serving as an ad hoc participant in five KNOD Study Sections and several other NIH Study Sections. He is also a grant reviewer for the Paul Teschan Research Fund.
Dr. Weiner was the chair of the curriculum committee at Tufts University School of Medicine and is a member of the Residency Selection Committee at Tufts Medical Center. He lectures on Renal pathophysiology to students at the Friedman School of Nutrition and Tufts University School of Medicine and teaches Tufts medical students in the 2nd year Introduction to Clinical Reasoning course.