Locations + Directions
Tufts Medical Center
Pratt Building, 3rd Floor
800 Washington St.
Box 1007 Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-5731
Fax #: 617-636-4852
Honors + Awards
2020, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2018/2019, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2017, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2015, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2014, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2013, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2012, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2012, "Top Doctor" and in top 1% in the nation in his specialty, U.S. News & World Report
2011, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2010, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2006, TUSM Distinguished Faculty Award
Publications + National Presentations
1. Adler DA, McLaughlin TJ, Rogers WH, Chang H, Lapitsky L, Lerner D. Job Performance Deficits Due to Depression. American Journal of Psychiatry, 163(9): 1569-1576, 2006.
2. Valenstein M, Adler DA, Berlant J, et al. Implementing Standardized Assessments in Clinical Care: Now’s the Time, Psychiatric Services, 60(10): 1372-1375, 2009.
3. Lerner D, Adler DA, Rogers WH, Chang H, Lapitsky L, McLaughlin T, Reed J. Work Performance of Employees with Depression: The Impact of Work Stressors, American Journal of Health Promotion, Inc., 24(3): 205-213, 2010.
4. Adler DA, Possemato K, Mavandadi S, Lerner D, Chang H, Klaus J, Tew J, Ingram E, Barrett D, Oslin DW. Psychiatric Status and Work Performance of Veterans of Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. Psychiatric Services, 62(1): 39-46, 2011.
5. Lewis R, Adler DA, Dixon LB, Goldman B, et al. The Psychiatric Note in the Era of Electronic Communication. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 199(4): 212-213, 2011.
6. Lerner D, Adler DA, Hermann RC, Chang H, et al. Impact of a Work-Focused Intervention on the Productivity and Symptoms of Employees with Depression, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 54(2): 128-135, 2012.
7. Adler DA, Oslin DW, Valenstein M, Avery J, et al. Patients’ Work Functioning: Our Job and Their Jobs. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 200(5): 451-453, 2012.
8. First MB, Bhat V, Adler D, Dixon L,Goldman B, Koh S, Levine B, Oslin D, Siris S. How Do Clinicians Actually Use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders in Clinical Practice and Why We Need to Know More. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease Dec;202(12):841-4, 2014.
9. Lerner D, Adler DA, Rogers WH, Chang H, Greenhill A, Cymerman E, Azocar, F. A Randomized Clinical Trial of a Telephone Depression Intervention to Reduce Presenteeism and Absenteeism. Psychiatric Services. Jun 1;66(6):570-7, 2015.
10. Adler D, Lerner D, Visco Z, Greenhill A, Chang H, Cymerman E, Azocar F, Rogers WH. Improving Work Outcomes of Dysthymia (Persistent Depressive Disorder) in an Employed Population. General Hospital Psychiatry. Jul-Aug;37(4):352-9, 2015.
David Adler, MD is a Senior Psychiatrist in Department of Psychiatry, a Professor of Psychiatry and Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine, and a mental health services researcher. His goal is to develop effective interventions to promote health and effective functioning over the life course, reduce the burden of age-related illnesses and disabilities, and increase knowledge of aging processes and their on influence ability to work. Dr. Adler has been an organizational consultant to both for profit and non-profit organizations for 30 years. In addition, he has been the behavioral health consultant and currently supervises several behavioral health collaborative care programs within large healthcare organizations.
In Dr. Adler's 20 years as a member of the Tufts Center for Health Solutions, he has been involved in designing and implementing numerous research projects. His research has emphasized developing and testing practical approaches to improving the detection of psychiatric disorders in primary care and the workplace, particularly through the development of innovative patient-based screening methodologies and improved treatments for depressive and other disorders. As a master clinician and teacher, Dr. Adler's role in the program’s intervention studies has encompassed the design, clinical supervision and assessment of experimental clinical interventions.
News, Media + Videos