|Training + Education
Erasmus University Medical Center, Rotterdam
2015, Journal of Clinical Epidemiology Young Investigator Award
2013, Erasmus University Medical Center, Department of Public Health Best Debut Publication Award
1. van Klaveren D, Wong JB, Kent DM, Steyerberg EW. Biases in Individualized Cost-effectiveness Analysis: Influence of Choices in Modeling Short-Term, Trial-Based, Mortality Risk Reduction and Post-Trial Life Expectancy. Med Decis Making. 2017 Oct;37(7):770-778. doi: 10.1177/0272989X17696994. Epub 2017 Mar 20. PubMed PMID: 28854143.
2. Costa F, van Klaveren D, James S, Heg D, Räber L, Feres F, Pilgrim T, Hong MK, Kim HS, Colombo A, Steg PG, Zanchin T, Palmerini T, Wallentin L, Bhatt DL, Stone GW, Windecker S, Steyerberg EW, Valgimigli M; PRECISE-DAPT Study Investigators.
Derivation and validation of the predicting bleeding complications in patients undergoing stent implantation and subsequent dual antiplatelet therapy (PRECISE-DAPT) score: a pooled analysis of individual-patient datasets from clinical trials. Lancet. 2017 Mar 11;389(10073):1025-1034. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(17)30397-5. PubMed PMID: 28290994.
3. Upshaw JN, Konstam MA, Klaveren Dv, Noubary F, Huggins GS, Kent DM. Multistate Model to Predict Heart Failure Hospitalizations and All-Cause Mortality in Outpatients With Heart Failure With Reduced Ejection Fraction: Model Derivation and External Validation. Circ Heart Fail. 2016 Aug;9(8). pii: e003146. doi: 10.1161/CIRCHEARTFAILURE.116.003146. PubMed PMID: 27514751; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5328587.
4. Sotomi Y, Cavalcante R, van Klaveren D, Ahn JM, Lee CW, de Winter RJ, Wykrzykowska JJ, Onuma Y, Steyerberg EW, Park SJ, Serruys PW. Individual Long-Term Mortality Prediction Following Either Coronary Stenting or Bypass Surgery in Patients With Multivessel and/or Unprotected Left Main Disease: An External Validation of the SYNTAX Score II Model in the 1,480 Patients of the BEST and PRECOMBAT Randomized Controlled Trials. JACC Cardiovasc Interv. 2016 Aug 8;9(15):1564-72. doi: 10.1016/j.jcin.2016.04.023. PubMed PMID: 27491605.
5. van Klaveren D, Gönen M, Steyerberg EW, Vergouwe Y. A new concordance measure for risk prediction models in external validation settings. Stat Med. 2016 Oct 15;35(23):4136-52. doi: 10.1002/sim.6997. Epub 2016 Jun 1. PubMed PMID: 27251001;
PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5550798.
6. van Klaveren D, Götz HM, Op de Coul EL, Steyerberg EW, Vergouwe Y. Prediction of Chlamydia trachomatis infection to facilitate selective screening on population and individual level: a cross-sectional study of a population-based screening programme. Sex Transm Infect. 2016 Sep;92(6):433-40. doi: 10.1136/sextrans-2015-052048. Epub 2016 Feb 3. PubMed PMID: 26843401.
7. van Klaveren D, Vergouwe Y, Farooq V, Serruys PW, Steyerberg EW. Estimates of absolute treatment benefit for individual patients required careful modeling of statistical interactions. J Clin Epidemiol. 2015 Nov;68(11):1366-74. doi:
10.1016/j.jclinepi.2015.02.012. Epub 2015 Feb 27. PubMed PMID: 25814403; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC5569577.
8. van Klaveren D, Vergouwe Y, Steyerberg EW. Refining the American guidelines for prevention of cardiovascular disease. Lancet. 2014 Feb 15;383(9917):598. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(14)60212-9. PubMed PMID: 24529465.
9. van Klaveren D, Steyerberg EW, Perel P, Vergouwe Y. Assessing discriminative ability of risk models in clustered data. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014 Jan 15;14:5. doi: 10.1186/1471-2288-14-5. PubMed PMID: 24423445; PubMed Central PMCID:
10. Farooq V, van Klaveren D, Steyerberg EW, Meliga E, Vergouwe Y, Chieffo A, Kappetein AP, Colombo A, Holmes DR Jr, Mack M, Feldman T, Morice MC, Ståhle E, Onuma Y, Morel MA, Garcia-Garcia HM, van Es GA, Dawkins KD, Mohr FW, Serruys PW.
Anatomical and clinical characteristics to guide decision making between coronary artery bypass surgery and percutaneous coronary intervention for individual patients: development and validation of SYNTAX score II. Lancet. 2013 Feb
23;381(9867):639-50. doi: 10.1016/S0140-6736(13)60108-7. PubMed PMID: 23439103.
David van Klaveren, PhD, MSc was born on July 31, 1973 in Rotterdam, The Netherlands. In 1991 he graduated from secondary school (Christelijke Scholengemeenschap Walcheren, Middelburg) and started studying Technical Mathematics at Delft University of Technology. In 1997 he obtained his master’s degree with a thesis on quantitative aspects of risk analysis.
After his graduation, Dr. van Klaveren established a Risk Analysis Section within Strukton, a large infrastructural building contractor in Maarssen. He switched to the insurance business in 1998 to work as an actuarial consultant for Posthuma Partners in The Hague. In 2003 he started working for the Dutch branch of the global insurance company Allianz in Rotterdam, first as a senior actuary, and later on as head of the Pricing Department. In 2009 he completed, cum laude, the Actuarial Sciences Master’s program at the University of Amsterdam.
In 2011. Dr. van Klaveren changed his career to become a researcher in medical decision making at the Department of Public Health of Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam. In 2015, he received the Young Investigator Award from the Journal of Clinical Epidemiology. Since 2015, he is a research associate / visiting scholar at the Predictive Analytics and Comparative Effectiveness Center of Tufts Medical Center in Boston, and an associate editor of BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. He obtained a cum laude PhD degree in January 2017 and currently holds an Assistant Professor position at the Medical Statistics department of Leiden University Medical Center.
In his spare time, Dr. van Klaveren enjoys running (Rotterdam marathon 2013 and 2014), Korfball (played in the Dutch top league for many years as captain of KV Fortuna Delft, played for 3 years in Holland U23, trained and coached various teams), reading non-fiction (history) and international literature books and mountain hiking and skiing.
Associate Editor for BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making
Statistical consulting at Leiden University Medical Center and Erasmus University Medical Center Rotterdam
Peer reviewer for international Journals: Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, BMC Medical Research Methodology, EuroIntervention