Locations + Directions
Tufts Medical Center
Biewend Building, 3rd Floor
800 Washington St.
Box 238 Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-7010
Fax #: 617-636-7100
Publications + National Presentations
1. Hellinger J, Editorial Commentary: HIV Blip Synching: Get the Timing Right, Clin Infec Dis, 41(9):1333, 2005.
2. Hicks PL. Mulvey KP. Chander G. Fleishman JA. Josephs JS. Korthuis PT. Hellinger J. Gaist P. Gebo KA. HIV Research Network. The impact of illicit drug use and substance abuse treatment on adherence to HAART. AIDS Care. 19(9):1134-40, 2007 Oct.
3. Himelhoch S. Chander G. Fleishman JA. Hellinger J. Gaist P. Gebo KA. Access to HAART and utilization of inpatient medical hospital services among HIV-infected patients with co-occurring serious mental illness and injection drug use. General Hospital Psychiatry. 29(6):518-25, 2007 Nov-Dec
4. PT Korthius, JS Josephs, JA Fleishman, J Hellinger, S Himelhoch, G Chander, EB Morse, KA Gebo for the HIV Research Network, Substance abuse treatment in human immunodeficiency virus: The role of patient-provider discussions, Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment 35 (2008) 294-303.
5. Chander G. Josephs J. Fleishman JA. Korthuis PT. Gaist P. Hellinger J. Gebo K. HIV Research Network. Alcohol use among HIV-infected persons in care: results of a multi-site survey, HIV Medicine. 9(4):196-202, 2008 Apr
6. Korthuis, Todd P. M.D., M.P.H., Zephyrin, Laurie C. M.D., Fleishman, John A. Ph.D., Saha, Somnath, M.D., M.P.H., Josephs, Joshua S. B.A., McGrath, Moriah M. M.P.H., Hellinger, James, M.D., Gebo, Kelly A. M.D., M.P.H. “Health-Related Quality of Life in HIV-Infected Patients: The Role of Substance Use.” AIDS Patient Care and STDs. 22:11 (2008): 859-867.
7. Korthuis, Todd P. M.D., M.P.H., Saha, Somnath, M.D., M.P.H., Fleishman, John A. Ph.D, McGrath, Moriah McSharry, M.P.H., Josephs, Joshua S. B.A., Moore, Richard D. M.D., M.H.S., Gebo, Kelly A. M.D., M.P.H., Hellinger, James, M.D., Beach, Mary Catherine, M.D., M.P.H. “Impact of Patient Race on Patient Experiences of Access and Communication in HIV Cases.” J Gen Internal Med. October 2, 2008: 2046-2052.
8. MR Jordan; H La; HD Nguyen; H Sheehan; TT Lien; DV Duong; J Hellinger; C Wanke; AM Tang. Correlates of HIV-1 viral suppression in a cohort of HIV-positive drug users receiving antiretroviral therapy in Hanoi, Vietnam. Publication: International Journal of STD & AIDS, 2009 Jun; 20(6): 418-22.
9. Hanna GJ, Lalezari J, Hellinger JA, Wohl DA, Nettles R, Persson A, Krystal M, Lin P, Colonno R, Grasela DM, Antiviral activity, pharmacokinetics, and safety of BMS-488043, a novel oral small-molecule HIV-1 attachment inhibitor, in HIV-1-infected subjects., Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011 Feb;55(2):722-8. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00759-10. Epub 2010 Nov 15.
10. Rhee MS, Hellinger JA, Sheble-Hall S, Cohen CJ, Greenblatt DJ. Relationship between plasma protease inhibitor concentrations and lipid elevations in HIV patients on a double-boosted protease inhibitor regimen (saquinavir/lopinavir/ritonavir). J Clin Pharmacol. 2010 Apr;50(4):392-400. doi: 10.1177/0091270009339739. Epub 2010 Jan 23.
11. Rhee SY, Taylor J, Fessel WJ, Kaufman D, Towner W, Troia P, Ruane P, Hellinger J, Shirvani V, Zolopa A, Shafer RW, HIV-1 protease mutations and protease inhibitor cross-resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010 Oct;54(10):4253-61. doi: 10.1128/AAC.00574-10. Epub 2010 Jul 26.
12. Gebo KA, Fleishman JA, Conviser R, Hellinger J, Hellinger FJ, Josephs JS, Keiser P, Gaist P, Moore RD; HIV Research Network., Contemporary costs of HIV healthcare in the HAART era. AIDS. 2010 Nov 13;24(17):2705-15. doi: 10.1097/QAD.0b013e32833f3c14.
13. Inker LA, Wyatt C, Creamer R, Hellinger J, Hotta M, Leppo M, Levey AS, Okparavero A, Graham H, Savage K, Schmid CH, Tighiouart H, Wallach F, Krishnasami Z.Performance of creatinine and cystatin C GFR estimating equations in an HIV-positive population on antiretrovirals. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012 Nov 1;61(3):302-9. doi: 10.1097/QAI.0b013e31826a6c4f.
14. Okparavero AA, Tighiouart H, Krishnasami Z, Wyatt CM, Graham H, Hellinger J, Inker LA. Use of glomerular filtration rate estimating equations for drug dosing in HIV-positive patients. Antivir Ther. 2013;18(6):793-802. doi: 10.3851/IMP2676. Epub 2013 Aug 20.
15. Vaz L, Kleinman K, Lakoma M, Duta-Linn M, Hellinger J, Finkelstein J, Remaining Gaps in Antibiotic Knowledge in Parents of Medicaid and Commercially Insured Children, Pediatrics, accepted for publication 2015.
Dr. James A. Hellinger is an infectious disease physician and HIV clinical researcher who is active in providing clinical care for persons with HIV, and has significant background in translational, clinically based HIV research in the US and internationally. He is currently attending physician at Tufts Medical Center and Medical Director at Neighborhood Health Plan, a Medicaid managed care plan for Massachusetts. He supervises a nurse-practitioner based, collaborative practice for complex health conditions including HIV/ AIDS, mental health and substance concerns, providing coordinated care between home and affiliated clinics in Massachusetts.