Tufts Medical Center
South Building, 4th Floor
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-6190
Fax #: 617-636-6110
Tufts Medical Center Specialty Center- Framingham
85 Worcester Rd.
Framingham, MA 01701
Phone #: 508-532-0223
Fax #: 508-875-0021
2018, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2017, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2013, Top Doctor, Castle Connolly Medical Ltd. Los Angeles
2012, Southern California Super Doctor
2011-14, Chair, ASCRS Awards Committee
2010-15, Recipient of an NIH (KO8) Career Development Award in Research
2008, ASCRS Research Foundation’s “Research Forum” Award
1. Lee SW, Yoo J, Dujovny N, Sonoda T, Milsom JW. Laparoscopic vs. Hand-Assisted Laparoscopic Sigmoidectomy for Diverticulitis. Dis Colon Rectum. 49: 1-6, 2006.
2. Offodile AC, Lee SW, Yoo J, Whelan RL, Moradi D, Baxter R, Arnell TD, Nasar A, Sonoda T, Milsom JW, Feingold DL. Does Prior Abdominal Surgery Influence Conversion Rates and Outcomes of Laparoscopic Right Colectomy in Patients with Neoplasia? Dis Colon Rectum. 51(11):1669-74, 2008.
3. Cabot JC, Lee SA, Yoo J, Nasar A, Whelan RL, Feingold DL. Long-Term Consequences of Not Closing the Mesenteric Defect After Laparoscopic Right Colectomy. Dis Colon Rectum. 53: 289-292, 2010.
4. Rodriguez Perez CE, Nie W, Sinnett-Smith J, Rozengurt E, Yoo J. TNF- Potentiates Lysophosphatidic acid-induced COX-2 Expression via PKD in Human Colonic Myofibroblasts. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 300(4): G637-46, 2011.
5. Yoo J, Rodriguez Perez CE, Nie W, Sinnett-Smith J, Rozengurt E. Protein Kinase D1 Mediates Synergistic MMP-3 Expression induced by TNF- and Bradykinin in Human Colonic Myofibroblasts. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications. 413(1):30-5, 2011.
6. Yoo J, Rodriguez Perez CE, Nie W, Edwards RA, Sinnett-Smith J, Rozengurt E. TNF- Induces Up-Regulation of EGFR Expression and Signaling in Human Colonic Myofibroblasts. Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 302(8): G805-14, 2012.
7. Lee MK, Chen F, Esrailian E, Russell MM, Sack J, Lin AY, Yoo J. Combined Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgery (CELS) May Be an Alternative to Bowel Resection for the Management of Colon Polyps Not Removable by Standard Colonoscopy”. Surgical Endoscopy, 27(6): 2082-6, 2013.
8. Yoo J, Rodriguez Perez CE, Nie W, Sinnett-Smith J, Rozengurt E. TNF- and LPA Promote Synergistic Expression of COX-2 in Human Colonic Myofibroblasts: Role of LPA-mediated Transactivation of Upregulated EGFR. BMC Gastroenterology, 20: 13(1): 90, 2013.
9. Chestovich PJ, Lin A, Yoo J. Complications, Considerations, and Consequences of Colorectal Surgery: Fast-track Pathways in Colorectal Surgery. Surgical Clinics of North America. February 2013.
10. Khalil H, Yoo J. Colorectal Emergencies: Perforated Diverticulitis (Operative and Non-Operative Management), Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery, 2013.
Dr. James Yoo obtained his BS from Brown University and attended medical school at the Mt. Sinai School of Medicine (New York, NY), graduating Alpha Omega Alpha. Dr. Yoo then completed a general surgery residency at the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston MA), followed by a fellowship in Colon & Rectal Surgery at New York-Presbyterian Hospital (New York, NY). Before being recruited to Tufts, Dr. Yoo served as an Assistant Professor, Chief of Colon & Rectal Surgery, and Co-Director of the Colorectal Cancer Program at the Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center (Los Angeles, CA). Dr. Yoo treats all aspects of colorectal diseases utilizing state-of-the-art, minimally invasive approaches with a particular emphasis on colorectal cancer and inflammatory bowel disease. Dr. Yoo has an active research laboratory that studies the cell signaling mechanisms regulating stromal-epithelial cell interactions in the context of mucosal repair, fibrosis, and the development of cancer. He is a funded investigator with an NIH-KO8 grant. Dr. Yoo serves on the Editorial Board of the Journal of Surgical Research and the American Journal of Digestive Disease.
Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
Fellow of the American College of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
Society of University Surgeons
Association of Academic Surgery
Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
Pacific Coast Surgical Association
American Gastroenterological Association
The Longmire Surgical Society