Back to Results
John N. Gaitanis, MD
Chief, Pediatric Neurology
Department + Services
Pediatrics, Pediatric Neurology
Pediatric brain malformations, epilepsy
Seeing Patients In
North Chelmsford, 978-937-6362
|Programs + Specialties
|Training + Education
Brown Medicaal School; University of Rochester Medical Center; Boston Children’s Hospital; Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
||Neurology with Special Qualifications in Child Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology
Floating Hospital for Children
Floating Hospital, Street Level
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Fax #: 617-636-8375
Phone #: 617-636-8100
Pediatric Specialty Center - Brockton
210 Quincy Ave.
Brockton, MA 02392
Fax #: 508-586-5673
Phone #: 508-232-6465
Pediatric Specialty Center - Chelmsford
20 Research Pl., #210
North Chelmsford, MA 01863
Fax #: 978-703-4176
Phone #: 978-937-6362
Pediatric Specialty Center - Woburn
7 Alfred St., Suite 205
Woburn, MA 01801
Fax #: 781-897-0243
Phone #: 781-897-0240
2014, "Top Doctor," Rhode Island Monthly
2013, Matthew Siravo Memorial Foundation, Society of Angels
2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, Bright Lite Nominee
2008, The Dean’s Excellence in Teaching Award, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
1. Gaitanis JN, Drislane FW. Status Epilepticus: a review of different syndromes, their current evaluation, and treatment. The Neurologist. 2003 Mar; 9(2):61-76.
2. Gaitanis JN, Walsh CA. Genetics of Disorders of Cortical Development. Neuroimaging Clin N Am. 2004 May; 14(2): 219-29.
3. Gaitanis JN, Riviello JJ. Status Epilepticus in Neonates. In: Drislane FW, editor. Status Epilepticus: a clinical perspective. Totowa, NJ: Humana Press. 2005, pp. 339-352.
4. Ferland RJ, Gaitanis JN, Apse K, Tantravahi U, Walsh CA, Sheen VL. Williams Syndrome with Periventricular Heterotopia. American Journal of Medical Genetics. 2006;140 (12):1305-11.
5. Gaitanis JN, Wu AN, Darras BT. Electrophysiologic Evidence for Anterior Horn Cell Disease in Amyoplasia. Pediatric Neurology. 2010; 43: 142-7.
6. Gaitanis JN. Degenerative Disorders of the Central Nervous System. In: Schomer DS editor. Electroencephalography: Basic Principles, Clinical Applications, and Related Fields, 6th Edition. Williams and Wilkens. Baltimore, MD; 2010. pp. 281-298.
7. Gaitanis JN. Epilepsy in Infancy and Childhood. In: Elzouki AY. Textbook of Clinical Pediatrics, 2nd Edition. Springer-Verlag. New York, NY; 2011.
8. Johnson H, Gaitanis JN, Morrow E. Genetics in Autism Diagnosis: Adding Molecular Subtypes to Neurobehavioral Diagnoses. Medicine and Health/Rhode Island. 2011. 94: 124-126.
9. Gaitanis JN, Donohue J. Focal Cortical Dysplasia. Pediatric Neurology. 2013. 49:79-87.
10. Besio W. Martinez-Juarez IE, Makeyev O, Gaitanis JN, Blum AS, Fischer RS, Medvedev AV. High-Frequency Oscillations Recorded on the Scalp of Patients with Epilepsy Using Tripolar Concentric Ring Electrodes. Journal of Translational Engineering in Health and Medicine. 2014.
Dr. Gaitanis, a graduate of Brown Medical School, completed his neurology training at Children’s Hospital Boston. He went on to finish an epilepsy fellowship at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center before returning to Children’s Hospital Boston to join their epilepsy staff. While there, he co-founded the Comprehensive Brain Malformation Program, helping bridge clinical and basic science knowledge of these conditions. In 2004, Dr. Gaitanis returned to Brown Medical School and Hasbro Children’s Hospital where he served as the director of pediatric epilepsy. He aided in the development of ketogenic diet and epilepsy surgery programs at Brown, providing comprehensive epilepsy care for children in Rhode Island. He now serves as the Director of Child Neurology at Tufts Medical Center/Floating Hospital for Children. Apart from his clinical duties, Dr. Gaitanis serves as the Chairperson of the Matthew Siravo Memorial Foundation’s Scientific Advisory Board, a non-profit organization dedicated to improving epilepsy advocacy and education. Dr. Gaitanis’ research is aimed at improving the sensitivity of EEG through digital signal processing. He has also published original articles and book chapters on status epilepticus, cortical malformations, and epilepsy in infancy and childhood.
Child Neurology Society
American Academy of Neurology
American Clinical Neurophysiology Society
American Epilepsy Society