Back to Results
Meet Lester Y. Leung, MD, MSc
Director, Comprehensive Stroke Center; Director, Stroke and Young Adults (SAYA) Program; Assistant Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Clinical Focus Areas
Vascular neurology including stroke in young adults, ischemic stroke, intracerebral hemorrhage, cerebral venous sinus thrombosis, dissection, reversible cerebral vasoconstriction syndrome, vascular malformations, silent strokes and survivorship
Seeing Patients In
Locations + Directions
Tufts Medical Center
260 Tremont Street
Box 314 Boston , MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-4948
Fax #: 617-636-8199
Honors + Awards
2016, Lester Adelman Tufts Neurology Residency Teaching Award
2014, Outstanding Resident-Fellow Teaching Award, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
2010, Leon A. Weisberg, M.D. Memorial Award
2009, Gold Humanism in Medicine Honor Society
2009, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
Publications + National Presentations
1. Leung LY et al. “Short-term Bleeding Events Observed with Clopidogrel Loading in Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients.” J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013 Oct;22(7):1184-89.
2. Bernson-Leung ME and Leung LY, Kumar S. “Synthetic Cannabis and Acute Ischemic Stroke.” J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014 May-Jun;23(5):1239-41. (E-publication on 2013 Oct 8.)
3. Krishnan V, Leung LY, Caplan LR. “A Neurologist’s Approach to Delirium: Diagnosis and Management of Toxic Metabolic Encephalopathies.” Eur J Int Med. 2014 Feb;25(2):112-16.
4. Leung LY et al. “Recurrent aseptic meningitis with reversible cerebral vasoconstriction.” J Neurol Sci. 2014 Mar 15;339(1-2):239-40.
5. Leung LY, Caplan LR. “Factors associated with delay in presentation to the hospital for young adults with ischemic stroke.” Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2016;42(1-2):10-14.
6. Leung LY, McAllister ML, Selim M, Fisher M. “Factors influencing oral anticoagulant prescribing for atrial fibrillation.” Journal of Stroke, accepted for publication, August 22, 2016, to be published in January 2017.
7. Rai S, Thaler DE, Salehi P, Madan N, Leung LY. More to atherosclerosis than stenosis: Symptomatic carotid artery with intraplaque hemorrhage. Stroke. 2017 Apr;48(4)e104-e107.
8. Leung LY, Bartz TM, Rice K, Floyd J, Psaty B, Gutierrez J, Longstreth WT Jr, Mukamal KJ. Blood pressure and heart rate measures associated with increased risk of covert brain infarction and worsening leukoaraiosis in older adults. Aterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017 Aug;37(8):1579-1586.
9. Leung LY, Melkumova E, Thaler DE. Longitudinal care for young adults with stroke. JAMA Neurol. Published online August 21, 2017.
Lester Y. Leung, MD hopes to reduce the impact of stroke on individuals and society, particularly through the pre-hospital and in-hospital attenuation of stroke severity and the prevention of first and recurrent strokes. He's particularly interested in the potential of silent brain infarction and microhemorrhages as biomarkers and opportunities to guide preventive treatments. He's also interested in the diagnosis, management and long-term consequences of stroke in young adults, a group with an extended duration of disability and exposure to complications of stroke. His personal interests include hiking and cycling.
American Academy of Neurology
American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
Massachusetts Medical Society
News, Media + Videos