Tufts Medical Center
260 Tremont Street
Boston , MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-4948
Fax #: 617-636-8199
2016, Lester Adelman Tufts Neurology Residency Teaching Award
2014, Outstanding Resident-Fellow Teaching Award, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
2010, Leon A. Weisberg, M.D. Memorial Award
2009, Gold Humanism in Medicine Honor Society
2009, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
1. Leung LY, Tian D, Brangwynne CP, et al. “A new microrheometric approach reveals individual and cooperative roles for TGF-1beta and IL-1beta in fibroblast-mediated stiffening of collagen gels.” FASEB. 2007 Jul;21(9):2064-73. PMID: 17341683.
2. Looze C, Yui D, Leung LY, et al.. “Proteomic profiling of human plasma exosomes identifies PPAR-gamma as an exosome-associated protein.” Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 2009 Jan 16;378(3):433-38. PMID: 19028452. PMCID: PMC2633355.
3. Leung LY, Albright KC, Boehme AK, et al. “Short-term Bleeding Events Observed with Clopidogrel Loading in Acute Ischemic Stroke Patients.” J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2013 Oct;22(7):1184-89. PMID: 23541421. PMCID: PMC4447207.
4. Bernson-Leung ME and Leung LY, Kumar S. “Synthetic Cannabis and Acute Ischemic Stroke.” J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 2014 May-Jun;23(5):1239-41. [Epub 2013 Oct 8.] PMID: 24119618.
5. Krishnan V, Leung LY, Caplan LR. “A Neurologist’s Approach to Delirium: Diagnosis and Management of Toxic Metabolic Encephalopathies.” Eur J Int Med. 2014 Feb;25(2):112-16. [Epub 2013 Dec 10.] PMID: 24332366.
6. Leung LY, Caplan LR. “Factors associated with delay in presentation to the hospital for young adults with ischemic stroke.” Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2016;42(1-2):10-14. PMID: 26953591.
7. Rai S, Thaler DE, Salehi P, Madan N, Leung LY. “More to atherosclerosis than stenosis: symptomatic carotid artery with intraplaque hemorrhage.” Stroke. 2017 Apr;48(4):e104-e107. [Epub 2017 Mar 14.] PMID: 28292865.
8. Leung LY, McAllister ML, Selim M, Fisher M. “Factors influencing oral anticoagulant prescribing for atrial fibrillation.” Journal of Stroke. 2017 May;19(2):232-235. PMID: 28460492. PMCID: PMC5466293.
9. Leung LY, Bartz TM, Rice K, et al. “Blood pressure and heart rate measures associated with increased risk of covert brain infarction and worsening white matter in older adults.” Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 2017 Aug;37(8):1579-1586. PMID: 28663254. PMCID: PMC5551454.
10. Leung LY, Melkumova E, Thaler DE. “Longitudinal care for young adults with stroke.” JAMA Neurol. 2017 Oct1;74(10):1163-1164. PMID: 28828467.
11. Smith EE, Kent DM, Bulsara KR, Leung LY, Lichtman JH, Reeves MJ, Towfighi A, Whiteley WN, Zahuranec DB; American Heart Association Stroke Council.. Effect of Dysphagia Screening Strategies on Clinical Outcomes After Stroke: A Systematic Review for the 2018 Guidelines for the Early Management of Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke. Stroke. 2018;49(3):e123-e128. PMID: 29367332.
12. Smith EE, Kent DM, Bulsara KR, Leung LY, Lichtman JH, Reeves MJ, Towfighi A, Whiteley WN, Zahuranec DB; American Heart Association Stroke Council.. Accuracy of Prediction Instruments for Diagnosing Large Vessel Occlusion in Individuals With Suspected Stroke: A Systematic Review for the 2018 Guidelines for the Early Management of Patients With Acute Ischemic Stroke. Stroke. 2018;49(3):e111-e122. PMID: 29367333.
13. Leung LY, Han PKJ, Lundquist C, Weinstein G, Thaler DE, Kent D. “Clinicians’ perspectives on incidentally discovered silent brain infarction – a qualitative study.” PLOS One. 2018;13(3):e0194971. PMID: 29596459.
14. Johnston SC, Easton JD, Farrant M, Barsan W, Conwit RA, Elm JJ, et al.; Clinical Research Collaboration, Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials Network, and the POINT Investigators. “Clopidogrel and Aspirin in Acute Ischemic Stroke and High-Risk TIA.” New England Journal of Medicine. 2018;379(3):215-225. PMID: 29766750.
15. Leung LY, Han PKJ, Lundquist C, Weinstein G, Thaler DE, Kent D. “Patients’ perspectives on incidentally discovered silent brain infarction – a qualitative study.” Journal of Patient-Reported Outcomes. 2019;3(1):23. PMID: 30982930. PMCID: PMC6462438.
16. Fu S, Leung LY et al. “Natural language processing for the identification of silent brain infarcts from neuroimaging reports.” Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2019;7(2):e12109. PMID: 31066686.
17. Johnston KC, Bruno A, Pauls Q, Hall CE, Barrett KM, Barsan W, et al.; Neurology Emergencies Treatment Trials Network and the SHINE trial investigators. “Intensive vs standard treatment of hyperglycemia and functional outcome in patients with acute ischemic stroke: the SHINE randomized clinical trial.” Journal of the American Medical Association. 2019;322(4):326-335. PMID: 31334795.
18. McCarty J, Leung L, Peterson R, Sitton C, Sarraj A, Riascos R, Brinjikj W. “Ischemic Infarction in Young Adults: A Review for Radiologists.” RadioGraphics. 2019;39(6). 1629-1648. PMID: 31589580.
19. Kalani R, Bartz TM, Suchy-Dicey A, Elkin MSV, Psaty BM, Leung LY, et al. “Cholesterol variability and cranial magnetic resonance imaging findings in older adults: the Cardiovascular Health Study.” Stroke. 2020;51(1):69-74. PMID: 31842691.
20. Ridha M, Malek A, Arkun K, Leung LY. “The utility of histopathologic characteristics of thrombi in large vessel occlusions.” Neurology Clinical Practice. 2019;9(6). PMID: 32042484.
21. Fu S, Leung LY, Raullio A-O, Kallmes DF, Kinsman KA, Nelson KB, et al. “Assessment of the impact of EHR heterogeneity for clinical research through a case study of silent brain infarction.” BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making. 2020;20:60. PMID: 32228556.
22. Huggins HE, Brady M, Thaler DE, Leung LY. “Differences in presenting symptoms of acute stroke among young and older adults.” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2020;29:104871. PMID: 32689591.
23. Dmytriw AA, Phan K, Schirmer C, … Leung LY, Malek AM, Voetsch B, Sehgal S, Wakhloo AK, Wu H, Xavier A, Tiwari A. Ischaemic stroke associated with COVID-19 and racial outcome disparity in North America. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery, and Psychiatry. 2020;jnnp-2020-324653. PMID: 32801118.
24. Carneiro T, Dashkoff J, Leung LY, Nobleza COHS, Marulanda-Londono E, Hathidara M, et al. “Intravenous tPA for Acute Ischemic Stroke in Patients with COVID-19.” Journal of Stroke and Cerebrovascular Diseases. 2020;29(11):105201. PMID: 33066885.
25. Gans S, Michaels E, Thaler DE, Leung LY. “Detection of symptoms of late complications after stroke in young survivors with active surveillance versus usual care.” Disability and Rehabilitation. 2021 Feb 19;1-5.
26. Koh MH, Yen SC, Leung LY, Gans S, Sullivan K, Adibnia Y, Pavel M, Hasson CJ. “Exploiting telerobotics for sensorimotor rehabilitation: a locomotor embodiment.” Accepted to Journal of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, 2021.
Lester Y. Leung, MD, MSc is a vascular neurologist (stroke specialist), clinical investigator, and medical educator. He is the Director of the Comprehensive Stroke Center at Tufts Medical Center and the Founder and Director of the Stroke and Young Adults (SAYA) Program. He is interested in improving prehospital identification and management of stroke, addressing disparities in stroke care, and improving the care and post-stroke outcomes of young adults with stroke.
American Academy of Neurology
American Heart Association/American Stroke Association
Massachusetts Medical Society