|Programs + Specialties
|Training + Education
Bethune Medical University (Jilin University); Oregon Health and Science University; Boston Children’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School
||View Accepted Insurances at Tufts MC + Floating Hospital
Tufts Medical Center
South Building, Mezzanine Level
860 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-6317
Fax #: 617-636-5349
Tufts Medical Center Specialty Center- Quincy
1690 Crown Colony
Quincy, MA 02169
Phone #: 857-403-4600
2014, AUA/CUA Academic Exchange Program Scholar
2013, Resident Achievement Award. The Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
2011, Earl F. Nation Resident Scholarship
2002-2004, American Foundation for Urologic Disease/ American Urologic Association Research Scholarship
1999, Outstanding Ph.D. Thesis Award, Beijing Medical University, China
1996-1999, Guanghua Scholarship, Beijing Medical University, China
1996, Scientific Progress Award of the Ministry of Health of Jilin Province, China
1995, Outstanding Graduate, Bethune University of Medical Sciences, China
1989-1994, Scholarship for Excellent Student, Bethune University of Medical Sciences, China
1. Liyan Zhuang and Matthew Johnson. How Precisely Can Prostate Cancer Be Managed? Int Neurourol J. 20:S120-130, 2016.
2. Liyan Zhuang, Brian Duty, Michael Conlin, Sia Daneshmand. Colocalycostomy for Repair of Ureterojejunal fistula. Urology. 2012 Feb;79(2):e12-4.
3. Bianco SD, Peng JB, Takanaga H, Suzuki Y, Crescenzi A, Kos CH, Zhuang L, Freeman MR, Gouveia CH, Wu J, Luo H, Mauro T, Brown EM, Hediger MA. Marked disturbance of calcium homeostasis in mice with targeted disruption of the Trpv6 calcium channel gene. J Bone Miner Res. 22(2):274-85, 2007.
4. Ping-Ke Fang, Keith R Solomon, Liyan Zhuang, Qi, Maosong, M McKee, Michael R Freeman and Pamela C. Yelick. Caveolin-1alpha and -1beta perform nonredundant roles in early vertebrate development. American Journal of Pathology, 169(6):2209-22. 2006.
5. Liyan Zhuang, Jayoung Kim, Rosalyn M. Adam, Keith R. Solomon, and Michael R. Freeman Cholesterol targeting alters lipid raft composition and cell survival in prostate cancer cells and xenografts. The Journal of Clinical Investigation 115(4): 959-68, 2005.
6. Christine Herzog*, Liyan Zhuang*, Lucian Gorgan, Yoav Segal and Jing Zhou. Tissue- and developmental stage-specific activation of alpha 5 and alpha 6(IV) collagen expression in the upper gastrointestinal tract of transgenic mice Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 311 (2): 553-560, 2003 (*equal contribution).
7. Maximilian Stehr, Rosalyn M Adam, Joseph Khoury, Liyan Zhuang, Keith R Solomon, Craig A Peters, Michael R Freeman. Platelet derived growth factor-BB is a potent mitogen for rat ureteral and human bladder smooth muscle cells: dependence in lipid rafts for cell signaling. Journal of Urology, 169(3): 1165-70, 2003.
8. Liyan Zhuang, Ji-Bin Peng, Liqiang Tou, Hitomi Takanaga, Rosalyn M. Adam, Matthias A. Hediger, and Michael R. Freeman. The calcium-selective ion channel, CaT1, is apically localized in gastrointestinal tract epithelia and is aberrantly expressed in human malignancies. Laboratory Investigation, 82(12): 1755-64, 2002.
9. Liyan Zhuang, Jianqing Lin, Michael L. Lu, Keith R. Solomon, and Michael R. Freeman. Cholesterol-rich Lipid Rafts Mediate Akt-regulated Survival in Prostate Cancer Cells. Cancer Research, 62, 2227-2231, 2002.
10. Ji-Bin Peng*, Liyan Zhuang*, Urs V. Berger, Rosalyn M. Adam, B. Jill Williams, Edward M. Brown, Matthias A. Hediger, and Michael R. Freeman. CaT1 expression correlates with tumor grade in prostate cancer. Biochemical and Biophysical Research Communications, 282, 729-734, 2001 (*equal contribution).
Liyan Zhuang, MD, PhD is a staff urologist at Tufts Medical Center in Boston, Massachusetts. Dr. Zhuang received his medical degree at the Bethune University of Medical Sciences and his doctoral degree at the Institute of Urology, Peking University, in China. He continued his research fellowship at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School. Dr. Zhuang completed his urology residency at Oregon Health and Science University in 2013, and worked in Lahey Clinic Urology from 2013-2017.
Dr. Zhuang's clinical interest is in comprehensive urology with specialty interest in oncology, minimally invasive Urology, reproductive urology, prosthetic urology and reconstructive urology. His research projects focus on signal transduction through cholesterol-enriched lipid-raft membrane domain in prostate cancer.
Dr. Zhuang has published more than 25 original and review articles. His clinical and research work has been presented in national and international conferences. He was awarded many honors including AUA/CUA Academic Exchange Program Scholar in 2014. Dr. Zhuang was dedicated to international resident training and urology patient care with China. He organized translating the popular urology book, Pocket Guide to Urology, into Chinese.
In his spare time, Dr. Zhuang enjoys sports. Basketball, table tennis and bridge games are his favorites.
Member of American Urological Association