Back to Results
Madhumathi Rao, MD, FRCP(E)
Medical Director, Dialysis Clinic Inc., Walden Pond, Concord, MA; Nephrologist; Associate Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Bone biopsy, bone disease, mineral metabolism abnormalities, genetics, dialysis, general nephrology, chronic kidney disease (CKD), diabetic kidney disease, glomerular disease, vasculitis, hypertension, cardiovascular disease in patients with kidney disease, acute kidney disease, acute kidney injury and kidney stones
Seeing Patients In
Don't see an appointment time? Request directly with the clinic.
|Programs + Specialties
|Training + Education
Christian Medical College, India; St. James University Hospital, UK; Tufts Medical Center
||Hindi, Tamil, Telugu
Tufts Medical Center
35 Kneeland St.
Boston, MA 02111
Fax #: 617-636-2369
Phone #: 617-636-5866
Pratt Medical Group - Concord
56 Winthrop St.
Concord, MA 01742
Fax #: 978-287-5126
Phone #: 978-287-4788
1. Rao M, Mottl AK, Cole SA, Umans JG, Freedman BI, Bowden DW, Langefeld CD, Fox CS, Yang Q, Cupples A, Iyengar SK, Hunt SC, Trikalinos TA. Meta-analysis of genome-wide linkage scans for renal function traits. Neph Dial Transplant; Epub 2011 May 28; doi:10.1093/ndt/gfr255.
2. Rao M, Peter I, Trikalinos TA. A lesson from the Zuni Indians: heritability in perspective. Am J Kidney Dis 2010;56(2):251-4.
3. Balakrishnan V, Rao M, Menon V, Gordon P, Pilichowska M, Castaneda F, Castaneda-Sceppa C. Resistance exercise training increases skeletal muscle mitochondrial biogenesis in patients with chronic kidney disease. Clin J Am Soc Neph 2010;5:996-1002.
4. Balakrishnan VS, Rao M, Kausz AT, Brenner L, BJ, Frigo TB, Lewis JM. Physicochemical properties of ferumoxytol, a new intravenous iron preparation. Eur J Clin Invest. 2009 Jun;39(6):489-96.
5. Rao M, Balakrishnan VS. The genetic basis of kidney disease risk in African Americans: MYH9 as a new candidate gene (Editorial). Am J Kidney Dis 2009;53:579-83.
6. Provenzano R, Schiller B, Rao M, Coyne D, Brenner L, Pereira BJ. Ferumoxytol as an intravenous iron replacement therapy in hemodialysis patients. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2009 Feb;4(2):386-93.
7. Rao M, Li L, Balakrishnan VS, and the HEMO Study Group. Mitochondrial injury as a predictor of mortality among hemodialysis patients. J Am Soc Nephrol 2009;20(1):189-96.
8. Rao M, Li L, Jaber BL, Pereira BJG, Balakrishnan VS, and the HEMO Study Group. Plasma adiponectin levels and clinical outcomes among hemodialysis patients. Neph Dialysis Transplant 2008;23(8):2619-28.
9. Weinhandl ED, Rao M, Gilbertson DT, Collins AJ, Pereira BJG. Effect of intravenous levocarnitine on subsequent hospitalization among prevalent hemodialysis patients, 1998-2003. Am J Kidney Dis 2007;50:803-12.
10. Rao M, Wong C, Kanetsky P, Girndt M, Stenvinkel P, Raj DSC. Cytokine gene polymorphism and progression of renal and cardiovascular diseases. Kidney Int 2007;72:549-56.
Dr. Rao’s research interests include the metabolic complications of CKD and their genetic epidemiology including the role of mitochondrial genetic mutation in the complications and progression of CKD. She is a recipient of a K23 career development award from the NIDDK to study candidate genetic polymorphisms in cardiovascular and kidney disease progression among patients with CKD and diabetic kidney disease, and an R-21 award and the NKF Young Investigator award, to study the role of mitochondrial injury in the anemia of CKD.
In 2010, Dr. Rao successfully defended her PhD studies on the genetics of kidney disease in the Sackler Clinical and Translational Science Graduate Program, which is part of the Tufts CTSI Education Component. In addition, she is extending these studies to the development and progression of kidney disease in patients with type I diabetes under the Genetics of Kidney Disease in Diabetes (GoKinD) study conducted by the the Joslin Diabetes Center and George Washington University Biostatistics Center. Dr. Rao collaborates actively with the Evidence Practice Center at Tufts Medical Center to study the methodology and implementation of evidence based medicine.