Back to Results
Matthew Salzler, MD
Orthopaedic Surgeon; Assistant Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Clinical Focus Areas
shoulder instability and dislocation, rotator cuff repair, labral repair, minimally invasive arthroscopic surgery for shoulder, knee, hip and ankle, cartilage injuries and joint preservation, meniscus repair, managment of knee ligament injures (ACL, MCL, multi-ligament), overuse injuries in athletes, adult and adolescent sports medicine, women's sports injuries and preservation, workers' compensation
Research Focus Areas
Lower extremity biomechanics, running injuries, and reducing complications in sports medicine procedures
Seeing Patients In
Tufts Medical Center
Biewend Building, 7th Floor
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-3369
Fax #: 617-636-5178
2014, Editor’s Choice Award, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Reviews
2012, Chief Resident Teaching and Mentoring Award, Harvard Combined Orthopaedic Residency
2011-2012, Administrative Chief Resident, Massachusetts General Hospital, Dept. of Orthopaedics
2007, Elected to Alpha Omega Alpha
2004-2005, Columbia P&S Physiology Review Instructor Teaching Award
2002, Graduated with Honors in Biochemistry, Brown University
1. State-of-the-art Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tears: A Primer for Primary Care Physicians. Salzler M, Nwachukwu BU, Rosas S, Nguyen C, Law TY, Eberle T, McCormick F. The Physician and Sports Medicine. May 2015
2. Fluoroscopic Determination of the Tibial Insertion of the Posterior Cruciate Ligament in the Sagittal Plane. Salim R, Salzler MJ, Bergin MA, Zheng L, Carey RE, Kfuri M Jr, Zhang X, Harner CD. American Journal of Sports Medicine. May 2015.
3. Complications Following Arthroscopic Knee Surgery. Salzler M, Lin A, Miller C, Herold S, Irrgang J, Harner C. American Journal of Sports Medicine. Feb 2014.
4. Placement of the Tunnel for the Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL) during Reconstructive Surgery of the Knee: A Critical Analysis Review. Salzler M, Harner C. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Reviews. Apr 2014.
5. Assessment and Treatment of Malnutrition in Orthopaedic Surgery. Deren M, Huleatt J, Winkler M, Albina J, Rubin L, Salzler M, Behrens S. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery Reviews. Sept 2014.
6. A “Natural” Transition? Biomechanics of Habitually Shod Runners Switching to Minimalist Footwear. Salzler M, Kirwan H, Scarborough D, Berkson E. 2014 Orthopaedic Research Society Annual Meeting.
7. Review of Femoroactabular Impingement and Hip Arthroscopy in the Athlete. Tranovich M, Salzler M, Wright V. The Physician and Sports Medicine. Feb 2014.
8. Preoperative MR Arthrography Underestimates Arthroscopically Identified Acetabular Chondral Lesions. Wright V, Tranovich M, Salzler M, Casagranda B, Costello J. Podium Presentation. International Society for Hip Arthroscopy 2013 Annual Meeting.
9. All-arthroscopic Anatomic Repair of an Avulsed Popliteus Tendon in a Multiple Ligament-injured Knee. Salzler MJ, Martin SD. Orthopedics. Jun 2012.
10. Outcome of Fasciotomy in Runners with Chronic Exertional Compartment Syndrome. Salzler M, Nasreddine A, Kocher M. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine 2012 Annual Meeting.
11. Injuries Observed in Minimalist Runners. Salzler M, Bluman E, Noonan S, Chiodo C, de Asla R. Foot and Ankle International. Apr 2012.
Dr. Matthew Salzler is an orthopedic surgeon seeing patients at Tufts Medical Center in Boston and the Tufts MC Specialty Office in Quincy. He specializes in sports medicine, including arthroscopy and reconstructive procedures of the knee, shoulder and hip. Dr. Salzler is the team physician for Tufts University, Emerson College,the Quincy Militia, and Quincy High School and the former assistant team physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers, the University of Pittsburgh, and Carnegie Mellon. He received his medical degree from Columbia in NYC, completed his internship in General Surgery at MGH, his Residency in the Harvard Combined Orthopedic Residency Program and his Fellowship in Orthopedic Sports Medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center.
Team Physician for Tufts University, Emerson College, Quincy Militia, North Quincy High School and Quincy High School
Former Assistant Team Physician for the Pittsburgh Steelers, University of Pittsburgh, and Carnegie Mellon
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
American Orthopedic Society for Sports Medicine
Arthroscopy Association of North America
International Society of Arthroscopy, Knee Surgery, and Orthopaedic Sports Medicine