Back to Results
Monika Pilichowska, MD, PhD
Director, Clinical Hematology and Hematopathology; Director, Hematopathology Fellowship Program; Associate Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Clinical Focus Areas
Hematology and hematopathology, flow cytometry, surgical pathology and cytology, renal pathology (medical renal disease)
Research Focus Areas
Clinical and translational research related to hematology, oncology in children and adults
Seeing Patients In
|Programs + Specialties
|Training + Education
Rostock University School of Medicine, Germany; Tohoku University School of Medicine, Japan; Tufts Medical Center; Brigham and Women’s Hospital; Stanford University School of Medicine
||Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Hematopathology
||German, Polish, Russian
||View Accepted Insurances at Tufts MC + Floating Hospital
Tufts Medical Center
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-7216
Fax #: 617-636-7128
1. High male chimerism in the female breast shows quantitative links with cancer. Dhimolea E, Denes V, Lakk M, Al-Bazzaz S, Aziz-Zaman S, Pilichowska M, Geck P. Int J Cancer. 2013 Feb 7. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28077. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Paraneoplastic pemphigus and Castleman’s disease in the setting of herpes simplex virus infection. Koch LH, Layton CJ, Pilichowska Monika, Stadecker MJ, Barrack O. Pediatr Dermatol. 2012 (5):629-32.
3. Unusual finding in pediatric Churg-Strauss: renal lesions on CT. Oldan J, McCauley R, Pilichowska M, Milner L, Lopez-Benitez JM. Pediatr Radiol. 2011 Aug;41(8):1065-8. doi: 10.1007/s00247-011-1989-3.
4. Resistance Exercise Training Increases Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. V. Balakrishnan, M. Rao, V. Menon, P. Gordon, M. Pilichowska, F. Castaneda and C. Castaneda-Sceppa. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2010 5: 996-1002.
5. V Denes, M Pilichowska, A Makarovskiy, G Carpinito and P Geck. Loss of a cohesin-linked suppressor APRIN (Pds5b) disrupts stem cell programs in embryonal carcinoma: an emerging cohesin role in tumor suppression. Oncogene (2010), 1–7. Advanced internet publication.
6. Yinh Janeth, Kalish Robert, Pilichowska Monika. A 27 yar-old Cambodian woman with fever, lymphadenopathy, and arthritis. Arthritis Care & Research Accepted Article Online: Apr 21 2010 12:53PM DOI: 10.1002/acr.20224
7. ME Pilichowska, JL Pinkus and GS Pinkus. Histiocytic necrotizing Lymphadenitis (Kikuchi-Fujimoto Disease): Lesional cells exhibit an immature dendritic cell phenotype and produce interferon. Am J Clin Pathol 2009;131:174-182
8. Danilov A, Pilichowska M, Danilova O, Sprague K. AIDS-related Burkitt lymphoma – a heterogenous disease? Leukemia Research doi:10.1016/j.leukres.2008.03.037
9. Pilichowska M, Klepper S, Campbell G, Klein A, Ernst A, Finlay G. A 64-year-old woman with cough and right middle lobe collapse. Diagnosis: diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Chest 2007; 132(5):1691-6
10. Luo HL, Adewoye A, Pilichowska M, Li MY, Basran RK, Steinberg MH, Chui DHK. Two novel alpha-thalassemia frame shift mutations. Hemoglobin 2007;31(2):135-9
Dr. Monika Pilichowska is the Director of the Clinical Hematology, Hematopathology and Flow Cytometry Laboratories at Tufts Medical Center's Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. She is an associate professor of Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, and Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine. Dr. Pilichowska is board certified in Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, as well as Hematopathology.
Dr. Pilichowska is an experienced hematopathologist with an interest in diagnostic problems in benign and malignant hematological pathology, coagulation and laboratory hematology. She has authored more than 100 peer-reviewed articles and abstracts and co-authored book chapters on acute myeloid leukemia and MDS. She is Director of the Hematopathology Fellowship program, an active teacher across several clinical disciplines and the recipient of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine's 2019 Teacher of the Year Award. She is also active in the College of American Pathologists and serves as a laboratory inspector.