Back to Results
Monika Pilichowska, MD, PhD
Director, Hematopathology and Hematology Laboratory; Associate Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Pathology and Laboratory Medicine
Hematology and hematopathology, flow cytometry, surgical pathology and cytology, renal pathology (medical renal disease)
Seeing Patients In
||Clinical and translational research related to hematology, oncology in children and adults
|Training + Education
Rostock University School of Medicine, Germany; Tohoku University School of Medicine, Japan; Tufts Medical Center; Brigham and Women’s Hospital; Stanford University School of Medicine
||Anatomic and Clinical Pathology, Hematopathology
||German, Polish, Russian
Tufts Medical Center
800 Washington St.
Boston, MA 02111
Fax #: 617-636-7128
Phone #: 617-636-7216
1. High male chimerism in the female breast shows quantitative links with cancer. Dhimolea E, Denes V, Lakk M, Al-Bazzaz S, Aziz-Zaman S, Pilichowska M, Geck P. Int J Cancer. 2013 Feb 7. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28077. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Paraneoplastic pemphigus and Castleman’s disease in the setting of herpes simplex virus infection. Koch LH, Layton CJ, Pilichowska Monika, Stadecker MJ, Barrack O. Pediatr Dermatol. 2012 (5):629-32.
3. Unusual finding in pediatric Churg-Strauss: renal lesions on CT. Oldan J, McCauley R, Pilichowska M, Milner L, Lopez-Benitez JM. Pediatr Radiol. 2011 Aug;41(8):1065-8. doi: 10.1007/s00247-011-1989-3.
4. Resistance Exercise Training Increases Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. V. Balakrishnan, M. Rao, V. Menon, P. Gordon, M. Pilichowska, F. Castaneda and C. Castaneda-Sceppa. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2010 5: 996-1002.
5. V Denes, M Pilichowska, A Makarovskiy, G Carpinito and P Geck. Loss of a cohesin-linked suppressor APRIN (Pds5b) disrupts stem cell programs in embryonal carcinoma: an emerging cohesin role in tumor suppression. Oncogene (2010), 1–7. Advanced internet publication.
6. Yinh Janeth, Kalish Robert, Pilichowska Monika. A 27 yar-old Cambodian woman with fever, lymphadenopathy, and arthritis. Arthritis Care & Research Accepted Article Online: Apr 21 2010 12:53PM DOI: 10.1002/acr.20224
7. ME Pilichowska, JL Pinkus and GS Pinkus. Histiocytic necrotizing Lymphadenitis (Kikuchi-Fujimoto Disease): Lesional cells exhibit an immature dendritic cell phenotype and produce interferon. Am J Clin Pathol 2009;131:174-182
8. Danilov A, Pilichowska M, Danilova O, Sprague K. AIDS-related Burkitt lymphoma – a heterogenous disease? Leukemia Research doi:10.1016/j.leukres.2008.03.037
9. Pilichowska M, Klepper S, Campbell G, Klein A, Ernst A, Finlay G. A 64-year-old woman with cough and right middle lobe collapse. Diagnosis: diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Chest 2007; 132(5):1691-6
10. Luo HL, Adewoye A, Pilichowska M, Li MY, Basran RK, Steinberg MH, Chui DHK. Two novel alpha-thalassemia frame shift mutations. Hemoglobin 2007;31(2):135-9
I left my birth place Warsaw, Poland, to pursue medical studies in Germany. I worked as a nurse in psychiatry and as a psychiatrist. I continued my interest in medicine as a fellow scientist at Stanford and as a PhD student in Japan. Since 2000 I am focusing on pathology, since I find it to be the basis of all other medical knowledge. Correct and timely treatment is based on correct and timely diagnosis and my role is to provide these to the treating clinicians. I share my experience with all involved in patients care, in particular students and residents. Being involved in medical education is an important part of my personal mission. Additionally, I hope my published research aids some in finding the right answers. And although my primary specialty is hematology and oncology I want to be open to all areas of medical science since I find medicine fascinating, important and of a greatest service to the human beings.