Back to Results
Raveendhara R. Bannuru, MD, FAGE
Meet Raveendhara R. Bannuru, MD, FAGE
Director, Center for Treatment Comparison and Integrative Analysis; Asst Professor of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine; Special & Scientific Staff, Division of Rheumatology
Department + Services
Division of Rheumatology, Center for Treatment Comparison and Integrative Analysis
Clinical Focus Areas
Use of comparative effectiveness research, evidence-based medicine methods including multiple treatment comparisons (network meta-analysis), and cost-effectiveness analysis in clinical practice guideline development and health care decision making.
Honors + Awards
2010-2011 Distinguished Peer Reviewer
2010-2012 National Research Service Award, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
2011 Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality travel award
2011-2012 Core Expert Panel Member: American College of Rheumatology Committee to evaluate appropriateness of the use of musculoskeletal ultrasound in rheumatology practice
2011-present Core Expert Panel Member and Evidence Synthesis Team Leader: Osteoarthritis Treatment Guideline Development Group (OAGDG) for Osteoarthritis Research Society International
2012 Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality travel award
2012-2013 Individual National Research Service Award, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
2013-present Guidelines Core Oversight Team: American College of Rheumatology Committee on ACR Guidelines for the Treatment of Rheumatoid Arthritis Development
2014 Faculty 1000 best research paper award
Publications + National Presentations
1. Bannuru RR, Flavin NE, Vaysbrot EE, Harvey W, McAlindon TE. High-energy extracorporeal shock wave therapy for treating chronic calcific tendonitis of the shoulder: a systematic review. Annals of Internal Medicine 2014; 160(8).
2. McAlindon TE, Bannuru RR, Sullivan MC, Arden NK, Berenbaum F, Bierma-Zeinstra SM, Hawker GA, Henrotin Y, Hunter DJ, Kawaguchi H, Kwoh K, Lohmander S, Rannou F, Roos EM, Underwood M. OARSI Guidelines for the Non-Surgical Management of Knee Osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2014 (epub ahead of print). [PMID: 24462672].
3. Bannuru RR, Vaysbrot EE, McIntyre LF. Did the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons osteoarthritis guidelines miss the mark? Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic & Related Surgery 2014; 30(1):86-9. [PMID: 24384274]
4. Bannuru RR, Vaysbrot EE, Sullivan MC, McAlindon TE. Relative efficacy of hyaluronic acid in comparison with NSAIDs for knee osteoarthritis. A systematic review and meta-analysis. Seminars in Arthritis and Rheumatism 2013 (epub ahead of print). [PMID: 24216297]
5. McAlindon T, Kissin E, Nazarian L, Ranganath V, Prakash S, Taylor M, Bannuru RR, Srinivasan S, Gogia M, McMahon MA, Grossman J, Kafaja S, Fitzgerald J. American College of Rheumatology report on reasonable use of musculoskeletal ultrasonography in rheumatology clinical practice. Arthritis Care Res 2012; 64(11):1625-40. [PMID: 23111854]
6. McAlindon TE, Bannuru RR. Is viscosupplementation really so unsafe for knee osteoarthritis? Nat Rev Rheumatol 2012; 8:635-6. [PMID: 22964536]
7. Stefan MS, Bannuru RR, Lessard D, Gore JM, Lindenauer PK, Goldberg RJ. The Impact of COPD on Management and Outcomes of Patients Hospitalized with Acute Myocardial Infarction – A Ten Year Retrospective Observational Study. Chest 2012; 141:1441-8. [PMID: 22207679] [PMCID: PMC3367486]
8. Balk EM, Moorthy D, Obadan NO, Patel K, Ip S, Chung M, Bannuru RR, Kitsios GD, Sen S, Iovin RC, Gaylor JM, D’Ambrosio C, Lau J. Diagnosis and Treatment of Obstructive Sleep Apnea in Adults. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (US) 2011. [PMID: 21977519]
9. Bannuru RR, Natov NS, Dasi UR, Schmid CH, McAlindon TE. Therapeutic Trajectory Following Intra-Articular Hyaluronic acid Injection in Knee Osteoarthritis: Meta-Analysis. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2011; 19(6):611-9. [PMID: 21443958]
10. Bannuru RR, Dvorak T, Obadan N, Yu WW, Patel K, Chung M, Ip S. Comparative Evaluation of Radiation Treatments for Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer: An Updated Systematic Review. Annals of Internal Medicine 2011; 155(3);171-8. [PMID: 21646550]
Dr. Bannuru is Director of the Center for Treatment Comparison and Integrative Analysis (CTCIA) at Tufts Medical Center. Dr. Bannuru’s diverse research interests include methods of evidence synthesis and multiple treatment comparison, clinical practice guideline development, and meta-epidemiological studies. His interests also include musculoskeletal epidemiology and placebo effects in osteoarthritis. Dr. Bannuru has previously applied evidence synthesis and comparative effectiveness research methods in preparing knee osteoarthritis devices for the Food and Drug Administration's regulatory review. Beyond utilizing evidence-based methods for a variety of clinical topics, Dr. Bannuru is also focused on the development and application of mathematical modeling methods in the use of cost-effectiveness analysis and predictive analytic methods in informing public and private sector health care decisions.
Dr. Bannuru has a proven ability to develop long-lasting collaborations with academia, professional organizations, and industry nationally and internationally. Over the past few years, Dr. Bannuru has developed evidence reports for Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) as part of Tufts’ Evidence-based Practice Center and also for American College of Rheumatology and Osteoarthritis Research Society International. Currently, he guides international expert workgroups in the development of evidence-based clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders. Dr. Bannuru is also involved in teaching evidence-based medicine at the Tufts University School of Graduate Biomedical Sciences.
News, Media + Videos