Back to Results
Robert A. Kalish, MD
Accepting New Patients
Meet Robert A. Kalish, MD
Director, Rheumatology Education; Associate Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Medicine, Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology
Clinical Focus Areas
General rheumatology, Lyme disease
Research Focus Areas
Lyme disease, Medical student and resident education, Clinical Anatomy
Seeing Patients In
Locations + Directions
Tufts Medical Center
South Building, 3rd Floor
860 Washington St.
Box 599 Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-5990
Fax #: 617-636-2388
Honors + Awards
2020, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2018/2019, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2017, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2015, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2010-2013, “Top Doctor, Rheumatology,” Boston Magazine
2012, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2012, "Top Doctor," U.S. News & World Report
2010, Tufts Annual Faculty Mentorship Award
2009, Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award
2008-2009, Tufts University School of Medicine Innovations In Education Award
2006, 2014, Tufts University School of Medicine Award for Excellence in Teaching
2004-2007, Clinician Scholar Educator Award, American College of Rheumatology
Publications + National Presentations
1. Kalish RA, Kaplan RF, Taylor E, Jones-Woodward L, Workman K, Steere AC. Ten-to-twenty-year followup evaluation of study patients with Lyme disease. J Infect Dis 2001; 183:453-60.
2. Kalish RA, McHugh G, Granquist J, Shea B, Ruthazer R, Steere AC. Persistence of Immunoglobulin M or Immunoglobulin G antibody responses to Borrelia burgdorferi 10 - 20 years after active Lyme disease. Clin Infect Dis 2001; 33:780-5.
3. Kalish RA, Puius YA. Lyme Arthritis: Pathogenesis, Clinical Presentation, and Management. Infect Dis Clin North Am 2008; 22: 289-300.
4. Wang C, Schmid CH, Hibberd P, Kalish RA, Roubenoff R, Rones R, McAlindon TE.: Tai Chi is Effective in treating Knee Osteoarthritis: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Arthritis & Rheumatism (Arthritis Care & Research) 2009; 61(11): 1545–1553
5. Wang C, Schmid CH, Rones R, Kalish R, Yinh J, Goldenberg D, McAlindon T. Tai Chi is effective in treating fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial. N Engl J Med 2010; 363: 743-54.
6. Kalish RA, Dawiskiba MI, Sung Y-C, Blanco MA. Raising Medical Student Awareness of Compassionate Care through Reflection of Annotated Videotapes of Clinical Encounters. Education for Health 2011 24:3.
7. Kalish RA, Canoso JJ. A clinical musculoskeletal anatomy seminar: Development of the Method. Reumatol Clin 2012;8 (Suppl 2):10-2.
8. Lee JY, Luc S, Greenblatt DJ, Kalish RA, McAlindon TE. Factors associated with serum hydroxychloroquine level in lupus patients: renal function could be important. Lupus 2013; 22(2)
9. Navarro-Zarza JE, Hernandez-Díaz C, Saavedra MA, Alvarez-Nemegyei J, Kalish RA, Canoso JJ, Villaseñor-Ovies P. Pre-workshop knowledge of musculoskeletal anatomy of rheumatology fellows and rheumatologists of seven North, Central and South American Countries. Arthritis Care Res, 2014; 66 (2):270-276
Robert A. Kalish, MD is recognized as one of Boston’s leading clinical rheumatologists, and is a recognized authority on Lyme disease and complications due to Lyme disease. He is also a leading clinician-educator in the Tufts Medical Center community and is the recipient of numerous awards and grants for excellence in medical student and resident education.
News, Media + Videos