Back to Results
Chief, Division of Gastroenterology/Hepatology; Director, Endoscopy Unit; Assistant Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine; Gastroenterologist
Department + Services
Clinical Focus Areas
Therapeutic endoscopy, endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP), endoscopic ultrasound (EUS), radiofrequency ablation (RFA) for barrett’s esophagus, endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR), endoluminal stenting
Research Focus Areas
Clinical outcomes research
Seeing Patients In
Tufts Medical Center
Proger Building, 3rd Floor
800 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-5883
Fax #: 617-636-9292
585 Lebanon St
Melrose, MA 02176
1994, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
1994, Warfield T. Longcope Prize in Clinical Medicine, Department of Internal Medicine, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
1. Yacavone RF, Dyas M, and Johanson CE. A Developmental Analysis of Differences in the Uptake of [I-123] Isopropyliodoamphetamine Versus [Tc-99m] Pertechnetate by the Choroid Plexus and Brain. Neurochem Res 1994;19(4):379-84.
2. Nigam A, Yacavone RF, Zahurak ML, Johns CMS, Pardoll DM, Pintadosi F, Levitsky HI, Nelson WG. Immunomodulatory Properties of Antineoplastic Drugs Administered in Combination with GM-CSF Secreting Cancer Cell Vaccines. Int J Oncol 1998;12(1):161-70.
3. Rumalla A, Baron TH, Leontovich O, Burgart LJ, Yacavone RF, Therneau TM, DeGroen PC, Sebo TJ. Improved Diagnostic Yield of Endoscopic Biliary Brush Cytology by Digital Image Analysis. Mayo Clin Proc 2001;76:29-33.
4. Yacavone RF, Locke GR, Gostout CJ, Rockwood TH, Thieling S, Zinsmeister AR. Factors Influencing Patient Satisfaction with GI Endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2001;53(7):703-10.
5. Harewood GC, Yacavone RF, Locke GR 3rd, Wiersema MJ. Prospective Comparison of Endoscopy Patient Satisfaction Surveys: E-mail Versus Standard Mail Versus Telephone. Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96(12):3312-7.
6. Norton ID, Wang L, Levine SA, Burgart LJ, Hofmeister EK, Yacavone RF, Gostout CJ, Petersen BT. In Vivo Characterization of Colonic Thermal Injury Caused by Argon Plasma Coagulation. Gastrointest Endosc 2002;55(6):631-6.
7. Yacavone RF, Locke GR III, Provenzale DT, Eisen GM. Quality of Life Measurement in Gastroenterology. What Is Available? Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96(2):285-97.
8. Yacavone RF, Locke GR, Petersen BT, Gostout CJ, Fett S, Zinsmeister AR. Secular Trends in Utilization of Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in Olmsted County, MN 1988-1997. Gastroenterology 1999;116(4):A105.
9. Levy MJ, Baron TH, Yacavone RF, Norton ID, Petersen BT, Gostout CJ, Wiersema MJ. Endoscopic Removal of Biliary Wallstents. Am J Gastroenterol 2001;96(9):S90.
10. Harewood GC, Locke GR, Dierkhising RA, Offord KP, Yacavone RF. Assessment of Factors Influencing Patient Satisfaction with Endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2003;57(5):AB113.
Dr. Yacavone graduated from Brown University with a BA in Business Economics in 1990. He attended medical school at The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, and graduated with an MD degree in 1994. He completed an internship and residency in Internal Medicine at Johns Hopkins Hospital in 1997. Dr. Yacavone completed his Gastroenterology fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN, and did an Advanced Endoscopy fellowship at Mayo for specialized training in EUS (Endoscopic Ultrasound) and ERCP (Endoscopic Retrograde Cholangiopancreatography). While in Minnesota, he attended the University of Minnesota for coursework in Clinical Outcomes Research. Dr. Yacavone was an Instructor in Medicine at Mayo Medical School from 1999-2000 during his fellowship training. While at Mayo, he co-authored several published articles related to advanced endoscopy procedures and outcomes research in gastrointestinal endoscopy. Dr. Yacavone was in a private gastroenterology/multispecialty group practice from 2000 to 2005 in Sarasota, FL. In 2005, he relocated to Kalispell Montana, where he performed the first EUS procedures in the state.
Over the course of his 10 years in practice in Montana (MT), Dr. Yacavone developed a statewide referral center for advanced endoscopic procedures. He served as the Chief of Gastroenterology and Chief of Medicine at Kalispell Regional Medical Center. The availability of EUS, advanced ERCP, radiofrequency ablation (RFA) for Barrett’s esophagus (introduced to MT in 2011), and gastrointestinal luminal stenting procedures allowed for growth of the center in Kalispell. In 2011, Dr. Yacavone joined with the first 2 Surgical Oncologists in the state of MT to restructure as The Northwest Center for Specialty Oncology Care. This unique center offered multidisciplinary expertise to patients with complex malignant and premalignant gastrointestinal conditions from throughout the state of Montana and neighboring regions.
In 2015, Dr. Yacavone and his family relocated to Massachusetts. Dr. Yacavone joined Pentucket Medical Associates and Partners Community Physicians group, and served as the Medical Director of Gastroenterology Services at Lawrence General Hospital (LGH) during 2015-2016. In 2015, the first Endoscopic Ultrasound procedures were performed in the Merrimack Valley at LGH. Dr. Yacavone joins the Gastroenterology Division at Tufts Medical Center in February 2017, and looks forward to further growth in the availability of advanced endoscopic procedures at Tufts and affiliated hospitals in the region.
In his spare time, Dr. Yacavone enjoys the outdoors, and spending time with his four children.
American College of Gastroenterology
American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Massachusetts Medical Society
Montana Medical Association