Back to Results
Tamara Vesel, MD
Chief of Division of Palliative Care; Clinical Associate Professor of Medicine and Pediatrics, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Medicine, Palliative Care
Clinical Focus Areas
Pain and non-pain symptom management, communication, interdisciplinary medical education, clinical hypnosis, end of life care, medical education and capacity building in low resource settings (Nepal, India, Bhutan)
Research Focus Areas
Medical education in palliative care
Seeing Patients In
Tufts Medical Center
South Building, 7th Floor
800 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-7957
Fax #: 617-636-9080
2009, Kenneth B. Schwartz Center. Finalist, Compassionate Caregiver Award as part of the Pediatric Advanced Care Team.
2008, American Academy of Palliative Hospice and Palliative Medicine. One-On-One Mentorship Award.
2003, Tufts – New England Medical Center Board of Trustees. Oliver Smith Award for Excellence in Patient Care.
2002, Tufts – New England Medical Center, Department of Pediatrics. Annual Patient Compassion Award.
2000, Tufts – New England Medical Center Board of Trustees. Nominee, Oliver Smith Award for Excellence in Patient Care (twice).
1. Klick J., Friebert S., Hutton N., Osenga K., Pituch K., Vesel T., Weider N., Block S., Morrison L. Developing Competencies for Pediatric Hospice and Palliative Medicine. Pediatrics 2014. doi.10.1542/peds.2014-0748.
2. Vesel T, O’Maley P, Lee B. Pain management in pediatric palliative care. Pediatric Chronic Pain: Current Science and Integrative Practice Editors: Brenda C. McClain and Santhanam. New York: Springer, 2011.
3. Frager G, Vesel T, Mac Connell G. Education in Pediatric Palliative Care. Wolfe J, Hinds P, Sourkes B, editors. In: Textbook of interdisciplinary pediatric palliative care. Elsevier; 2011.
4. Curly M., Urion D, Vesel T, Harrison C, Laussen P. Organ donation after cardiac death: are we willing to abandon the dead-donor rule? Pediatric Critical Care Medicine 2007:8(5):507-509.
5. Vesel T., Nishizawa Y., Sinam, Mize C. Maternal Hypovitaminosis D as a Cause of neonatal seizures. Bhutan Health Journal 2017 11-14
6. Vesel T., Beveridge, C. From Fear to Confidence: Changing Providers’ Attitudes About Pediatric Palliative and Hospice Care. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management, Volume 56, Issue 2, August 2018.
7. Vesel T., Fountain R, Wolfe J. Children and issues around palliative care. In: Blank AE, O’Mahony S, Selwyn A, editors. Choices in palliative care: issues in health care delivery. New York: Springer; 2007. p. 157-169
Tamara Vesel, MD is the Chief of the Division of Palliative Care in the Department of Medicine at Tufts Medical Center. Most recently, she has been working as the medical director of Pediatric Services as well as a senior Palliative Care physician at the Hospice of the North Shore and Greater Boston/Care Dimensions. In addition to establishing a premier pediatric hospice service for the organization, Dr. Vesel provided care for children and adults of all ages in the North Shore and Greater Boston area. She returns to Tufts Medical Center where she completed a pediatric residency in 1993 and was an attending physician from 1996 to 2003.
Dr. Vesel has been on staff at Boston Children’s Hospital and the Dana Farber Cancer Institute, where she was the director of the interdisciplinary pediatric palliative care fellowship program. She has extensive work experience in teaching: she was the course director at Harvard Medical School for “Living with Life Threatening Illness,” that taught medical students the fundamental knowledge, attitudes, and skills for working with a dying patient and their family. She also cofounded curriculum and served as the pediatric co-director for PCEP and Harvard center for palliative care, an interdisciplinary international palliative care course, until 2012.
Dr. Vesel is pediatric and adult palliative care physician with a passion in clinical patient care and teaching of interdisciplinary learners in various care settings. She enjoys traveling, learning about new cultures and spending time hiking and meditating in nature. Dr. Vesel loves music and other arts, in particular playing the harp. Her favorite time spent is with friends and family.
American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
Health Volunteers Overseas
National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization