|Programs + Specialties
||Chronic myeloproliferative neoplasms
|Training + Education
St. George’s Hospital Medical School, London, UK; Imperial College (Hammersmith Hospital), London, UK; University of Colorado School of Medicine
||Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology and Haematology
||Italian, Swahili, Hindi, Gujarati, Punjabi
2014, Highly Commended British Medical Association Award for Medical Book
2011, Recognized for humanitarian work- St Moritz 2011 Award
2009, Top 100 Cancer Physicians’ Award (USA Consumer Group)
2006, Elected Fellow, Royal College of Physicians
2004, Runner-up, Best Senior Faculty Teaching Award, Denver, USA
1999, Elected member, Royal College of Physicians
1998, American College of Physician International Faculty Award
1986, Elected fellow, New York Academy of Science
1986, Elected Fellow, American College of Physician
1985, American College of Physician Scholarship
1. Mughal TI, Girnius S, Rosen S, Kumar S, Weistner A, Abdel-Wahab O, Kiladjian J-J, , Wilson WH, Van Etten RA. Emerging therapeutic paradigms to target the deregulated JAK/STAT pathways in haematological malignancies. Leuk Lymphoma 2013
2. Kantarjian H, Goldman JM, Mughal TI, on behalf of CML worldwide physicians. The price of drugs for chronic myeloid (CML) is a reflection of the unsustainable prices of cancer drugs: from the perspective of a large group of CML. Blood, 2013
3. Mughal TI, Vannucchi AM, Soverini S, Bazeos A, Tibes R, Saglio G, Abdel-Wahab O, Pardanani A, Hehlmann R, Van Etten RA, Tefferi A, Goldman JM. Preclinical and clinical advances in the BCR-ABL-1 positive and negative chronic myeloproliferative malignancies: Proceedings from the 7th Post-ASH International CML and MPN Workshop. Haematologica, 2014.
4. Tamari R*, Mughal TI*, Rondelli D, Hasserjian R, Gupta V, Odenike T, Fauble V, Finazzi G, Pane F, Mascarenhas J, Prchal J, Giralt S, Hoffman R.Allogeneic Stem Cell Transplantation for Myelofibrosis: Reversing the chronic phase in the JAK inhibitors’ era? Bone Marrow Transplant, 2014; *joint co-first authors
5. Mughal TI, Barbui T, Abdel-Wahab O, Jamieson C, Kiladjian JJ, Mesa R, ehlmann R, Saglio G, Van Etten RA. Novel insights into the biology and treatment of chronic myeloproliferative neoplasms. Leuk Lymphoma; 2014
6. Mughal TI, Cross NCP, Padron E, Savona M, Tibes R, Komrokji RS, Kiladjian JJ, Mesa R, Orazi A, Garcia-Manero G, Maciejewski JP, Tiu RV, Solary E, List AF. Myelodysplastic/Myeloproliferative Neoplasms (MDS/MPN): Consensus perspective on molecular pathogenesis and clinical characterization. Haematologica, 2015
7. Savona M, Malcovati L, Komrokji R, Tui R, Mughal TI, Padron E, Solary E, Cross NC, Macecjewski J, Mufti G, Ogawa S, Malcovati L, List AF. Response criteria for patients with MDS-MPN overlap: An international consensus. Blood, 2015
8. Koschmeider S, Mughal TI, Hasselbalch H, Barosi G, Valent P, Kiladjian JJ, Jeryczynski, Gisslinger H, Jutzi J, Pahl H, Hehlmann R, Vannucchi AM, Cervantes F, Silver RT, Barbui T. Myeloproliferative neoplasms and inflammation: whether to target the malignant clone or the inflammatory process or both. Leukemia, 2016
9. He J, Abdel-Wahab O, Nahas M, Wang K, Rampal R, Intlekofer A, Patel J, Krivstov A, Frampton GM, Young L, Zhong S, Bailey M, White JR, Roels S, Deffenbaugh J, Fichtenholtz A, Brennan T, Rosenzweig M, Pelak K, Knapp KM, Brennan K, Donahue AL, Young G, Garcia L, Beckstrom ST, Zhao M, White E, Banning V, Buell V, Iwanik K, Ross JS, Morosini D, Younes A, Hanash AM, Paietta E, Roberts K, Mullighan C, Dogan A, Armstrong S, Mughal TI, Vergilio JA, Labrecque E, Erlich R, Vietz C, Yelensky R, Stephens PJ, Miller VA, van den Brink M, Otto GA, Lipson D, Levine RL. Integrated genomic DNA/RNA profiling of hematologic malignancies in the clinical setting, Blood, 2016
10. Mughal TI, Dieninger M, Radich JR, Apperley JF, Hughes TP, Harrison C, Gambacorti-Passerini C, Saglio G, Daley G. Chronic Myeloid Leukemia: Reminscences & Dreams, Haematologica, 2016
Tariq Mughal, MD has held senior hematology/oncology leadership roles in centers of excellence for the treatment of cancer, as well as primary referral centers, in the UK, U.S. and Saudi Arabia. He is a member of many professional societies and is involved in humanitarian activities to coordinate cancer care in some of the poorest parts of the world, in particular Tanzania.
In 2011, Dr. Mughal founded Alpine Oncology Foundation, a Swiss-registered cancer charity, in memory of his mother. His principal objective is to help improve the clinical management of children and adults in Tanzania diagnosed with blood cancer by enhancing the understanding of these diseases and promoting access to affordable molecular diagnostic and monitoring tools.
His personal interests include downhill skiing, music and Italian cooking.