Back to Results
Xuemei Cai, MD
Department + Services
Neurology, Neurocritical Care
Seeing Patients In
Boston , 617-636-4948
Don't see an appointment time? Request directly with the clinic.
|Programs + Specialties
||Intracerebral hemorrhage, patient and family engagement, shared decision making
|Training + Education
Harvard Medical School; Massachusetts General Hospital
Tufts Medical Center
800 Washington St., Box 314
Boston , MA 02111
Fax #: 617-636-8199
Phone #: 617-636-4948
1. Cai X, Rosand J. (2015) Management of Adult Intracerebral Hemorrhage. Seminars in Neurology. (in press)
2. Cai X, Robinson J, Muehlschlegel S, White DB, Holloway RG, Sheth KN, Fraenkel L, Hwang DY.
(2015) Patient Preferences and Surrogate Decision Making in Neuroscience Intensive Care Units.
Neurocrit Care. 23(1):131-41.
3. Cai X, Razmara A, Paulus JK, Switkowski K, Fariborz PJ, Goryachev SD, D’Avolio L, Feldmann E,
Thaler DE. (2014) Case Misclassification in Studies of Spinal Manipulation and Arterial Dissection. J
Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis. 23(8): 2031-2035.
4. Brouwers HB, Chang YC, Falcone GF, Cai X, Ayres A, Battey T, Vashkevich A, McNamara K,
Valant V, Schwab K, Orzell S, Bresette L, Feske S, Rost N, Romero J, Viswanathan A, Chou S,
Greenberg S, Rosand J, Goldstein J. (2014). Predicting Hematoma Expansion After Primary Intracerebral
Hemorrhage. JAMA Neurology, 71(2): 158-64.
5. Bhattacharyya S, Cai X, Klein JP. (2014). Dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and left-right confusion from a left posterior peri-insular infarct. Behavioural Neurology, 2014:823591.
6. Cai X, Bhattacharyya S, Plitt Raibagkar R, LaBuzetta JN, Klein JP. (2014) Posterior Reversible
Encephalopathy Syndrome induced by Carfilzomib in a patient with Multiple Myeloma. Journal of
Clinical Oncology. 2013.49.6166.
7. Cai X, Han S, Feske SK, Chou S H-Y. (2013) Small but Consequential: Intracerebral Hemorrhage
caused by Lenticulostriate Artery Aneurysm. Neurology 80:e89-e91.
8. Chou S H-Y, Cai X, Konigsberg RG, Bresette LM, Henderson GV, Sorond FA, Feske SK. (2012)
Thromboembolic risks of recombinant factor VIIa Use in warfarin-associated intracranial hemorrhage: a case–control study. BMC Neurology, 12(158).
Xuemei Cai, MD grew up in Southern Arizona and studied biochemistry and molecular and cellular biology as an undergraduate at the University of Arizona and obtained her medical degree at Harvard Medical School. Dr. Cai did basic research in medical school on neuropeptides and cytokines in diabetic wound healing. She completed clinical training in neurology at MGH/BWH and then completed a two year neurocritical care fellowship at the same institutions. During residency and fellowship, Dr. Cai's clinical research experience and publications centered around arterial dissection/stroke and intracerebral hemorrhage (including ICH related to oral-anticoagulants). She also participated in multiple large international and national clinical trials relating to neurocritical care and stroke. As an ICU physician, Dr. Cai's also interested in engaging patients and families in the shared decision making process.
Neurocritical Care Society
American Stroke Association
Society of Critical Care Medicine
American Academy of Neurology
Massachusetts Medical Society