Covid-19 Treatment Options
While cases of COVID-19 cases in the region have thankfully declined and COVID 19 vaccines offer strong protection against getting severely ill with the virus, there are new treatments for those who get the virus. These new treatments are free and available to everyone age 12 and older that has risk factors for severe illness. Click here to see a list of those risk factors. The treatments have been proven to prevent hospitalizations. The earlier you take the medication the more effective they are. Medication is recommended even if you have mild symptoms. Some of the treatment options have to be taken within 5 days from the time symptoms begin. This means:
- Be sure to get tested, if you have symptoms of COVID-19. Those symptoms include:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Loss of taste or smell
- Muscle or body aches; Fatigue
Tests can be done by a home test kit, at many local pharmacies or at our testing center at Tufts Medical Center.
- If you have a positive test, call your physician immediately and ask about getting a COVID-19 antiviral medication.
- If you have not received the COVID-19 vaccine and booster, please get it now. There have been updated to the COVID-19 vaccine recommendations, specifically booster eligibility and timing of 2nd, 3rd and 4th doses. For more details click here
Tufts Medical Center offers the vaccine for free at our 276 Tremont Street Vaccine and Testing Center. For hours and more information, click here. To learn more about who needs a booster, click here.