Women in Medicine and Science (WiMS) Committee
The mission of the Tufts Women in Medicine and Science (WiMS) Committee is to promote the professional and personal development of women in medicine and science and to advocate for parity for women at our institution. Founded in 2016 and supported by the Tufts Medical Center Physicians Organization, the Committee is comprised of 20 female faculty from Tufts Medical Center and Floating Hospital for Children.
We sponsor and host workshops, seminars and events geared to promote the professional and personal advancement of female faculty, and we advocate for parity in employment status by engaging with institutional leadership.
Current Chair: Elizabeth Yen, MD
Outgoing Chair: Monika Roychowdhury, MD
Past Chair: Neha Sharma, DO
Sub-committees have been organized to advance activities and agendas that are central to achieving the overarching WiMS Committee mission.
- The Salary/Benefits Sub-committee (led by Deborah Blazey-Martin) aims to promote salary equity and a benefits package that is appealing for recruitment, and addresses needs of current women faculty.
- The Work-life Balance and Wellness Sub-committee (co-led by Lori Lyn Price and Monika Roychowdhury) aims to foster policies and programs which allow women to maximize professional capacity while being mindful of physical and mental health.
- The Career Development Sub-committee (led by Neha Sharma) aims to promote career development of women in medical sciences at different career stages through mentorship and sponsorship to increase academic parity at Tufts Medical Center and Floating Hospital for Children.
- The Public Relations and Networking Sub-committee (led by Angie Mae Rodday) aims to promote and support the overall WiMS mission and agenda, and to communicate the committee’s activities to internal and external stakeholders.
- The Leadership Sub-committee (led by Monica Pilichowska) aims to provide a framework for development of leadership skills needed for success in organizational and academic medicine and science.
Questions about the WiMS Committee?
Congratulations to Dr. MaryAnn Volpe, who was accepted into the 2017 AAMC Mid-Career Women Faculty Professional Development Seminar!
Congratulations to Dr. Neha Sharma and Dr. Cindy Varga, who were accepted for attendance at the AAMC Early Career Faculty Professional Development Seminar, held this July 15-18 in Washington State.