WiMS Week of Wellness 2017 Holiday and General Wellness Tips from Your WiMS Colleagues:
• Take time away from responsibilities--a day for yourself to re-set
• Find time to breathe. Focus on what is important. Give a doggy or cat a hug.
• Use rumba vacuum
• Outsource things
• When you get that work party invite, answer right away yes/no, don't spend a lot of time dwelling on it and stressing over it--it's okay to say no.
• Put holiday music on in the background whenever you can. You will instantly feel more in the holiday spirit.
• Listen to podcasts and audiobooks (borrow free from your library or through Hoopla or Overdrive app) while commuting or doing chores/errands, to make you feel like you get a little leisure time and use a different part of your brain than mom or doctor.
• Exercise first every day no matter how many other things you need to do. You will feel better and everything else seems easier.
• Headspace meditation app, ACT, Calm, Stop and Breathe apps.
• Get air fryer and instantpot
• On-line shopping and cookies makes it all manageable
• Accept that your holiday decor/cookies will never look like pinterest.
• Taste everything but eat very small portions and exercise whenever possible.
• Give yourself permission to be okay with the fact that you can't do everything on your list. It's okay.
Lactation Rooms at Tufts MC
There are five designated pumping rooms for employees:
One is located in the MIU (Mother Infant Unit on North 3), and the room number is 3013S. It is available 24/7. You just need to sign in at the secretary desk, get the key and sign out/return key when finished.
The second is in Employee Health on Farnsworth 6, but this room will only be open when Employee Health is open (7:30am - 3pm Monday-Friday). Just check in at the front desk and someone will escort you to the room. There is a pump available but you will need to bring your own supplies.
There are two rooms available in the Sleep Lab (Rooms 614 and 615 on Pratt 6), which are available Monday-Friday 8am-3pm.
There is one room in the CTRC on Farnsworth 6, available on Wednesday and Friday only, 8am-3pm
Additionally, there is one non-designated pumping room available to employees located in the NICU (North 2) across from NICU pod one, which are also used by patients. Since this is a closed unit, the employee would have to inform the front desk if she desires to use either of these rooms. Keep in mind that this is primarily intended for the NICU moms.
Lactation support services are available to staff for any questions about pumping or breastfeeding. The MIU has an up to date schedule of which lactation specialist is working. The Lactation Support Services office phone number is 617- 636-0175 or you can email Lisa A. Enger, RN, BSN, IBCLC, CEIM at firstname.lastname@example.org
Physician Organization information
Yoga studios and gyms near Tufts MC:
• Boston Women’s Gym
• Boston Sports Club
Quick healthy meal options near Tufts MC:
• Whole Foods Market in South End
• Piperi Mediterranean Grill
• Pret A Manger
• Sweet Green
• Sam LaGrassa's
• Dig Inn
• Chipotle at 2 locations- Summer St and corner of School Street and Washington St
• Clover on School Street
• B Good on Summer St and Washington St
• Roche Grocery Store at Downtown Crossing
Day Care options near Tufts MC:
Tufts MC has one affiliation which is with Bright Horizons on Harrison Ave. Employees are eligible for a subsidized fee pending an application process and the household income:
• Bright Horizons (AFFILIATE)
185 Harrison Ave, Boston, MA 02111 (617) 636-9504
Age groups: 6 weeks to age 7 years
• Little Panda Early Learning
285 Tremont Street, Boston MA 02116 (617) 423-0500
• Bright Horizons
370 Stuart St, Boston, MA 02117 (617) 536-1035
• Bright Horizons
790 Boylston St, Boston, MA 0219 (617) 262-4850
Research on gender balance in academic medicine by WiMS committee members
Related Professional Organizations
Faculty development opportunities
Selection of Leadership & Negotiation Books
- Ask For It: How Women Can Use the Power of Negotiation to Get What They Really Want by Linda Babcock and Sara Laschever. ISBN 0553384554
- Lessons Learned: Stories from Women in Medical Management by Deborah Shlian. ISBN:9780924674457
- Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek. ISBN-10: 1591846447
- The 5 Levels of Leadership: Proven Steps to Maximize Your Potential by John. C. Maxwell. ISBN-10: 1599953633
- Getting to Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In by Roger Fisher. ISBN-10: 0143118757
- Leadership for health professionals by Gerald R. Ledlow and M. Nicholas Coppola. ISBN 1284026884
Other Articles of Interest