This study will determine how the placenta is affected by glucose in early pregnancy.
1. Women electing to have an early termination of pregnancy (6-14 weeks) at Tufts Medical Center.
2. BMI 20-40 kg/m2
3. Maternal age of 18-45 years.
1. Known glucose intolerance.
2. Multiple gestation (ie. Twins, triplets)
3. Documented fetal congenital abnormalities.
There is 1 study visit, ~15 minutes in length, on the day of the procedure to discuss the study, sign a consent form, and answer a couple of health questions. No blood draws are involved. A sample of placental tissue, which is normally discarded, would be collected by study staff after the procedure.