A randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, phase III trial (up to maximum n=3000) of early vitamin D3 in vitamin D deficient patients at high risk of ARDS and mortality
- Age of 18 years or greater
- Intention to admit to ICU from emergency department, hospital ward, operating room, or outside facility.
- Vitamin D deficiency (screening 250HD level < 20ng/mL)
- Inability to obtain informed consent
- Unable to randomize within 12 hours of ICU admission decision
- Unable to take study medication by mouth or enteral tube
ICU stay, following patient until Day 90 or discharged from home, 2 blood draws (4 tablespoons)