An exclusive focus on international patients
Tufts Medical Center hosts Boston's only program designed specifically to serve the needs of International Gastroenterology and Hepatology (liver) patients.
The Tufts MC Gastroenterology/Hepatology Division is recognized worldwide for excellence in patient care and research. Our physician team includes well-known experts in food allergy, eosinophilic esophagitis, inflammatory bowel diseases inflammatory bowel diseases (including Crohn's disease), irritable bowel syndrome, chronic liver disease, endoscopic procedures and more.
Our division draws many patients from Europe, Asia-Pacific, the Middle East and other regions. Through the Gastroenterology International Patient Program, we offer an extra layer of personal service to visitors from outside of the United States. Each step of the way — from scheduling your appointment to handling post-visit requests — we will be here for you.
How are we different from other hospitals?
- Tufts Medical Center is an internationally-respected academic medical center – a teaching hospital where we pride ourselves not only in the sophistication of the care we provide but the compassionate way in which we provide it.
- Your convenience really matters to us. We schedule your appointment(s) that fit your travel plans!
- We will have a Gastroenterologist review your medical records prior to setting up an appointment, who will prepare an appropriate plan of action for you care.
- Our program features an Administrative Expert who will help with any questions or requests you may have in planning your visit to Tufts MC.
- We send you an estimated cost for your treatment prior to your visit.
- If you have a Foreign Insurance plan, travel insurance or will be paying out of pocket, we will work with you to offer you the best payment options
- If you need a letter confirming your appointment in order to secure a visa, we will be happy to help.
- Language assistance is available on request.
Before your visit
Our Administrative Expert will work with you to set up your appointments in GI and help with any questions or requests you may have in planning your visit to Tufts MC.
The first two steps are as follows:
- Fill out the patient intake form.
- Email any relevant medical records (translated into English) to GIinternational@tuftsmedicalcenter.org or fax to 617-636-9292 (subject: International Patient).
A Tufts MC gastroenterology specialist reviews your records upon receipt and then prepares a plan of action for your care.
Your convenience really matters to us. We will work with you to schedule an appointment that fits your travel plans. We also send you an estimated cost for your treatment prior to your visit. If you need a letter confirming your appointment in order to secure a visa, we will be happy to help.
Please see our Patient Accommodations Guide for information on local hotels — and contact us if you need any assistance.
During your visit
Please plan to arrive at our clinic 15–20 minutes before your first appointment. If you specify on the patient intake form that you require language assistance, an interpreter will be available.
Before you leave our clinic, we provide you with a summary of care, which includes the treatment plan, medication lists and details on any upcoming appointments. Our team can also help with tasks such as admitting you to Tufts MC for inpatient care or scheduling follow-up visits at our clinic or elsewhere in the hospital (if needed and in accordance with your travel plans).
After your initial consultation, if your Tufts MC gastroenterologist recommends additional services, we will give you an updated estimated cost.
After your visit
At your request, following every appointment, we will communicate your results, diagnosis and treatment plan to your doctor back home — and we can answer any questions that he or she has.
If you need help with billing-related questions, refilling prescriptions, addressing prior authorizations or any other issue, we will work with you to accommodate these requests. You can always count on our team for a prompt response.
At the Gastroenterology/Hepatology Division, many of our doctors are active researchers. As a patient in our care, you may have the opportunity to take part in clinical trials of new and promising therapies. Browse open clinical trials now.