1. Register with both ERAS and NRMP
2. Upload the following to ERAS (all at once ideally):
- Three letters of recommendation from people directly involved in your clinical training. One letter should be from your residency program director.
- Curriculum vitae
- USMLE scores
- Personal statement, which should describe:
1. The basis for your interest in infectious disease.
2. Any previous research experience and current specific research interest.
3. Your career goals in medicine and in infectious disease.
4. The characteristics of an infectious disease training program that would suit your needs and goals.
- ECFMG scores (if applicable)
- Documentation of immigration status (for non-US citizens)
- Optional items for ERAS:
- Fourth letter of recommendation from a research mentor
- Medical School dean’s letter
- Medical School transcript
Important calendar dates – for Fellowship beginning July 1, 2017:
- ERAS begins accepting applications July 1, 2016.
- We interview from August through October 2016.
- We will accept applications through the interview season until November 1, 2016.
- Match Day is December 7, 2016. If an applicant is invited for an interview, we will email an invitation via the ERAS post office with several interview dates. The applicant will need to reply back via the email with three of the dates in order of preference.
Please email Donna Cooke or call 617-636-7001, option 2 with any questions.
Candidates should complete a three-year internal medicine residency or its equivalent prior to entering the fellowship training program.
Physicians who are planning a career in clinical or laboratory-based research can enter the program after two years of internal medicine training as described by the American Board of Internal Medicine (ABIM) Research Path. In this case, to meet ABIM requirements for internal medicine and infectious diseases, one year of clinical training and three years of research in infectious disease must be completed after two years of internal medicine residency training.
Tufts Medical Center's GME programs select from eligible applicants on the basis of their preparedness, ability, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills, and personal qualities such as motivation and integrity. Tufts Medical Center does not discriminate with regard to sex, race, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or genetic information.
What you can expect on interview day
We are located at the Holmes Building, 49 Bennet Street, Boston, MA 02111.
- Our interviews are scheduled on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- The day begins at 10:00 am and ends at 6:00 pm.
- Specific times and agenda will be mailed to you if you are invited to interview after your application is received.
- Welcome and Overview with David R. Snydman, MD, FACP, FISDA, Chief of the Division of Infectious Diseases
- One-on-one interviews with our infectious disease faculty.
- Attend microbiology rounds and meet fellows who will take you out to lunch
- Lunch with clinical and research fellows and other applicants in a relaxed setting at one of our great local Chinatown restaurants.
- Tour of the hospital with one of the fellows
- Attend the weekly Intercity Clinical Case Conference, featuring interesting cases presented by the fellows as "unknowns" to our infectious disease faculty from Tufts Medical Center and the three teaching hospitals that participate in our fellowship.
- Final questions and wrap-up with Helen Boucher, MD, Program Director
If interviewing on Thursday, you will attend a weekly Research Meeting, led by Dr. Snydman, Chief of the Division, discussing ongoing and future research projects with attendings, fellows, and research coordinators in the Division.
The Division of Geographic Medicine and Infectious Disease at Tufts Medical Center provides the required documents to fellowship and residency candidates, in accordance with the National Residency Matching Program’s mandate that specific information be disseminated to candidates prior to the submission of a program’s Rank List on the Tufts Medical Center GME website. View and download the documents.