The Department of Urology
is a pioneer in both ablative and reconstructive minimally invasive procedures, utilizing the da -Vinci robotic surgery system, laparoscopic lasers (Holmium and KPT-Green Light), and other minimally invasive endoscopic surgery.
At our Minimally Invasive Surgery Center in downtown Boston
, we provide a wide range of minimally invasive radical and routine urological procedures, including but not limited to, partial and radical nephrectomy, nephroureterectomy, kidney biopsy, nephropexy, renal cyst excision (marsupialization), adrenalectomy, radical cystectomy, ileal conduit, bladder augmentation, radical prostatectomy, retroperitoneal lymph node dissection, pelvic lymphadenectomy, kidney and ureteral stone cases, varicocelectomy and pyeloplasty for UPJ obstruction, TURP for BPH and TURBT for bladder tumors.
Our laparoscopic surgical capabilities are further enhanced by our state of the art daVinci Surgical System. This sophisticated robotic platform enables unparalleled precision, dexterity and control thereby providing enhancements in a number of minimally invasive procedures in the areas of Urology.
Our cutting-edge Minimally Invasive Suite also utilizes a number of innovative tools and techniques that enable our physicians to provide patients with the best possible care. Some of these tools include:
- Transurethral Microwave Thermotherapy: Used to safely and effectively treat lower urinary tract symptoms caused by BPH
- Green-light Laser: Used in treating prostate disorders and strictures
- Holmium Laser: Used in treating stricture and stone disease
- Shock Wave Lithotripsy (SWL): Dissolves kidney stones by using ultrasonic waves traveling through water
- Surgery for Urological Stone Disease: Procedures include: Ureteroscopy with laser Lithotripsy and Percutaneous Nephrostolithotomy
The main benefits of the minimally invasive surgeries are significant reduction in pain, complications and blood loss. The much smaller incisions, of course, result in markedly superior cosmetic outcomes compared to traditional open surgery. Furthermore, the period of recovery is reduced and our patients are able to have a faster return to normal activities, employment and/or school.
View Live Laparoscopic Nephrectomy