Weight and Wellness Center
Get answers to your weight and wellness questions.
What Can You Eat? What Are Your Weight Loss Options? Receive information on these topics and more at the Weight and Wellness Center’s Second Annual Weight and Wellness Expo.
Find out more and register
Welcome to the Weight and Wellness Center
The Weight and Wellness Center at Tufts Medical Center in Boston is a national 'Center of Excellence' as designated by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS).
Our mission is give you the tools you need to reach your optimal weight. Our medical weight loss and surgical weight loss programs can help you achieve safe, effective long term results. We specialize in everything from meal replacement to gastric bypass surgery.
What sets our weight loss program apart
- We work with you to understand why you've had trouble losing weight in the past and develop a comprehensive weight loss program to meet your needs. We offer medical, surgical and combined approaches to weight loss.
- We provide you with a full support team including behavior therapists, nutritionists, physicians, surgeons and nurses exclusively dedicated to nutritional and obesity-related issues.
- We have conducted more than 4,000 laparoscopic bariatric surgeries and almost all of our operations (95%) are done laparoscopically – which means our patients often have smaller scars, a faster, safer recovery and less chance of infection.
- Our Bariatric Program was re-accredited for three years in the fall of 2015 as a comprehensive MBSAQIP (Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Accreditation Quality Initiative Program), and we continue to maintain separate centers of distinction status at Blue Cross Blue Shield, Aetna, Cigna and United Healthcare.
- We continue to take care of, and have performed successful bariatric procedures on, some of the most complicated patients in the region, including patients weighing more than 600 pounds, patients awaiting renal transplant, patients on dialysis and patients with cirrhosis (Child’s class A and B).
- We are a referral center for ongoing management of bariatric postoperative complications from the community, such as leak and sepsis.
- We work closely with other specialties, such as Primary Care, Orthopaedics and the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center to manage your overall well-being.
Get started on your weight loss journey today >
How Can We Help You Today?
Our battle with the bulge
Weight and Wellness Center experts provide tips on how to achieve sustainable weight loss.
Watch the video
Are you a candidate for weight loss surgery?
Watch Dr. Sunny Shah discuss bariatric surgery options available to you.
Take our pre-operative quiz
Start the quiz