Need some healthy recipes for the big game, a family gathering or because you are tired of the same old, same old? Try these, from the registered dietitians at The Weight and Wellness Center at Tufts Medical Center.
- Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
- Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dip
- Basic Fruit Smoothie Recipe
- Chicken Gyros
Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
• 6 cups cauliflower florets
• 2 teaspoons garlic powder
• 1 T olive oil or non-stick spray
• Salt and pepper
• 1 T butter
• ½ cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
1. Place 2 rimmed baking sheets in the oven and preheat to 400 degrees.
2. Combine garlic powder, olive oil, melted butter, salt and pepper in bowl. Pour over cauliflower florets and mix thoroughly to distribute sauce.
3. Once oven is heated, take out baking sheets and spray with nonstick spray. Spread cauliflower evenly on hot pans and place in oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crispy.
4. Serve with Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dip.
NUTRITION FACTS: Calories: 67, Fat: 4.4g, Cholesterol: 5mg, Potassium: 342, Carbohydrates 6.3g, Dietary Fiber: 2.7g, Sugars: 2.9g, Protein: 2.3g
Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dip
• 1 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
• ¼ cup low fat buttermilk
• 2 T light mayonnaise
• ¼ cup crumbled low fat blue cheese
• ¼ t Worcestershire sauce
• Dash of salt and pepper
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and chill for 1 hour.
2. Serve with celery, carrots, or buffalo cauliflower.
NUTRITION FACTS: Calories: 70, Fat: 3.7g, Cholesterol: 9mg, Sodium 173mg, Potassium: 119mg, Carbohydrate 1.7, Sugars: 3.8g, Protein: 3.9g
Basic Fruit Smoothie Recipe
• 10 ounces unsweetened almond milk (or low-fat milk, soy milk, cashew milk or oat milk)
• 3/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
• 1 Tablespoon chia seed (or ground flaxseed or hemp seed)
• 1 cup frozen fruit
• Optional: 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, 1-2 teaspoons honey, cinnamon and/or vanilla extract
• 1 Tablespoon peanut butter (or almond butter, sunflower butter or cashew butter)
1. Combine all ingredients in blender.
2. Blend at medium to high speed for about 15-20 seconds.
*Makes about 2 portions
Hardly Authentic (But Tasty!) Chicken Gyros
• 3-4 ounces grilled chicken
• 2 Jospeh’s Flax Oat Bran pitas
• 1-1.5 cups lettuce shredded
• ½ tomato, diced
• ¼ red onion, sliced
• ¼ shaved cucumber (optional)
• 1 ounce reduced fat feta cheese, or 2 ounces fat free feta
• 2 Tbs. Tzatziki sauce
1. Sautee the chicken until cooked for 10-15 minutes and season with lemon juice, oregano, dill, thyme, garlic, pepper, mint optional.
2. Split all ingredients in half to make two gyros. Spread 1 Tbs. tzatziki on the pita bread, then add half the cooked chicken, feta cheese, tomato, onion, and lettuce. Repeat and enjoy!
NUTRITION FACTS: Calories: 375-400, Protein: 40-45 grams, Fiber: 10-13 grams