Healthy Snacks to Eat While Traveling
Whenever traveling fast food chains are what most of us feel we must resort to. In actuality there are plenty of healthy options that don't include fast food. And to be honest there are plenty of fast food chains that offer healthy alternatives, you just have to have the willpower to order them in front of those glistening French fries!
The Weight and Wellness Center at Tufts Medical Center in Boston has provided the below list of tips and foods we recommend while traveling. If you would like help reaching your weight loss goals, don't hesitate to give us a call.
Tips for eating healthy while traveling
Pack your own snack/meals.
Make a mental plan.
- Pack a cooler for road trips – fresh fruit, waters/seltzers, hummus, vegetable sticks, multigrain pita chips, whole wheat wraps, Greek yogurts, string cheese etc.
- Pack portable foods in your bag/purse: 100 calorie packs of nuts, protein bars, Snack Attach Mix, dried fruits etc.
- Bring a water bottle
Realize everywhere you go there is a healthy option; it is up to you to look for it and choose it.
- Each night before traveling/while away think about the day ahead and where you plan on getting your meals from.
Let your Smartphone be your guide. There are many apps out there that are fee and inexpensive that can help you find healthy food choice near you.
Convenience stores carry convenient yet healthy snacks.
- Eat Well for Business Travel: Insights on how to eat well around the world, including airports, business meetings, client dinners and many other places where business travelers often have trouble making healthy choices.
- Healthy Fast food: lets you make good choices while enjoying a visit to your favorite fast food restaurant.
- Good Food Near You: Type your location into this app and it’ll list healthy choices from nearby eateries
- VegOut: vegan, vegetarian or are simply seeking a veggie-friendly restaurant, VegOut will find a suitable eatery in your desired location, sorted by distance
- GateGuru: serves as the leading light to locate the best food, shopping and service options within any airport at the touch of a button
- Fooducate: apps uses an algorithm based on information on a product’s package: the nutrition facts panel and the ingredient list and provides a letter grade.
- Locavore: Locavore will make searching for in-season, local food a breeze by pinpointing farms, farmers’ markets, and CSAs nearest you
- Happy Cow: Find vegetarian friendly restaurants near by.
- Pharmacies (CVS/Walgreens), 7-11, airport kiosks etc all carry healthy snacks at the front of the stores now. You will find: hummus packs, tuna & crackers, fruit bowls, cheese & cracker packs, seltzers, yogurts, nuts, string cheese etc.
- Stock up and bring back to room, on the plane or in the car
Ideas for healthy snacks while you're traveling
- Mini cheeses
- Hummus packs
- Veggie snack packs
- 100 calorie almond packs
- Greek yogurt
- Tuna salad packs
- Individual servings of peanut butter
- Sleeve of nuts
- Protein bars
- Hard boiled eggs
- Fresh fruit
- Individual bags of popcorn
- Individual bags of whole grain crackers
- Dried fruit/vegetables
- Individual dark chocolate
- Flavored water