It’s that time of year when the sun and heat make us crave frozen desserts. Unfortunately, most ice creams, popsicles, sherbets, and sorbets are packed with lots of added sugars. Here at the Weight and Wellness Center at Tufts MC in downtown Boston, we encourage our patients to make their own popsicles at home with fresh fruit, Greek yogurt, and protein powder. Check out the recipe below and try it for a treat this week!
Also, you don’t need a popsicle mold to make these treats. You can use plastic Dixie cups or an ice tray.
Don’t have time to make your own popsicles? Here are some healthier options you can find in the stores:
Protein Popsicles Recipe:
What you need:
1/2 cup Greek Yogurt (plain or low sugar, less than 10g sugar)
1/4 cup Protein Powder (any flavor, get creative!)
2 Tablespoons Sugar Free Torani Syrup (any flavor)
Popsicle mold, ice cube tray, or small Dixie Cups
Popsicle Sticks (Michael's, 99 cent store, Dollar Tree)
What to do:
- Mix yogurt, protein powder, and sugar free syrup together till well blended. You can add chopped fresh fruit just be sure to chop it fine.
- Fill the molds or Dixie cups about 3/4 full. Each batch makes 2 full-size popsicles or 4 Dixie cup pops.
- Use Chocolate protein powder and add powdered peanut butter (PB2).
- Substitute Trop 50 for the syrup and mix with vanilla protein powder.
- Use vanilla protein powder and add chopped strawberry and mint.
- Substitute coconut water for the syrup and add chopped mango and basil.
Protein Popsicle recipe from the blog, The World According to Egg Face.