Fast Facts About the Department
Over this past year the Tufts Medical Center Department of Surgery has passed several significant milestones:
- We were verified by the American College of Surgeons as a Level I Trauma Center for both adult and pediatric patients. Such verification recognizes our readiness to provide the most sophisticated care to the most critically injured patients of any age.
- Our surgical volume continued to grow at a remarkable pace. Over the past 7 years we have increased overall surgical volume by 30% and this year reached 13,999 cases.
- Robotic Surgery has grown rapidly at Tufts. Urology, Gynecology, and Colorectal Surgery are the principle users and have performed over 300 cases and robot use is increasing at a rate of 20% annually.
- Tufts MC Surgical Services have achieved the highest institutional patient satisfaction scores for physician performance. Of the 32 inpatient services evaluated, surgical services at Tufts held the top ten spots with Transplant Surgery, Adult Otolaryngology, and Vascular Surgery earning the top three rankings.
- We have continued to improve our Surgical Care Improvement Project (SCIP) performance. Year to date our ACM (ACM=Appropriate Care Measure= % of eligible patients whose care met all applicable SCIP performance criteria) reached an all time high at 94.7%.
The Department of Surgery at Tufts Medical Center continues to grow rapidly and to receive outstanding objective and quantifiable evaluations for quality, safety, and patient satisfaction.