Back to Results
Peter J. Neumann, ScD
Director, Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health at the Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies at Tufts Medical Center; Professor of Medicine, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies, Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health
Clinical Focus Areas
Use of comparative effectiveness research and cost-effectiveness analysis in health care decision making
- Neumann PJ, Cohen JT, Ollendorf DA. Drug-Pricing Debate Redux - Should Cost-Effectiveness Analysis Be Used Now to Price Pharmaceuticals? N Engl J Med. 2021 Nov
- Neumann PJ, Podolsky MI, Basu A, Ollendorf DA, Cohen JT. Do Cost-Effectiveness Analyses Account for Drug Genericization? A Literature Review and Assessment of Implications. Value Health. 2022 Jan
- Neumann PJ, Ollendorf D. Why So Few Value Assessments On Health Services And Procedures, And What Should Be Done? Health Affairs Forefront, February 4, 2022.
- Neumann PJ, Garrison LP, Willke RJ. The History and Future of the "ISPOR Value Flower": Addressing Limitations of Conventional Cost-Effectiveness Analysis. Value Health. 2022 Apr
- Breslau RM, Cohen JT, Ollendorf DA, Neumann PJ. Should Drug Companies Engage with ICER? An Empirical Analysis of How Often Manufacturers Engage with ICER and Whether Engagement May Influence ICER's Cost-Effectiveness Estimates. Pharmacoecon Open. 2022 Jul 23
- Olchanski N, Daly AT, Zhu Y, Breslau R, Cohen JT, Neumann PJ, Faul JD, Fillit HM, Freund KM, Lin PJ. Alzheimer's disease medication use and adherence patterns by race and ethnicity.
Alzheimer's Dementia. 2022 Aug 8
- Lin PJ, Zhu Y, Olchanski N, Cohen JT, Neumann PJ, Faul JD, Fillit HM, Freund KM. Racial and Ethnic Differences in Hospice Use and Hospitalizations at End-of-Life Among Medicare Beneficiaries With Dementia. JAMA Network Open, 2022.
Peter J. Neumann, Sc.D., is Director of the Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health (CEVR) at the Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies at Tufts Medical Center, and Professor of Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine. He is the founder and director of the Cost-Effectiveness Registry, a comprehensive database of cost-effectiveness analyses in health care.
Dr. Neumann has written widely on the role of clinical and economic evidence in pharmaceutical decision making and on regulatory and reimbursement issues in health care. He served as co-chair of the 2nd Panel on Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine. He is the author or co-author of over 300 papers in the medical literature, and the author or co-author of 3 books:
Using Cost-Effectiveness Analysis to Improve Health Care (Oxford University Press, 2005)
Cost-Effectiveness in Health and Medicine, 2nd Edition (Oxford University Press, 2017)
The Right Price: A Value-Based Prescription for Drug Costs (Oxford University Press, 2021).
Dr. Neumann has served as President of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR). He is a member of the editorial advisory board of Health Affairs and the panel of health advisors at the Congressional Budget Office. He has also held several policy positions in Washington, including Special Assistant to the Administrator at the Health Care Financing Administration. He received his doctorate in health policy and management from Harvard University.
Dr. Neumann has served as President of the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research (ISPOR), and as a trustee of the Society for Medical Decision Making. He is a member of the editorial boards of Health Affairs and Value in Health.
Center for the Evaluation of Value and Risk in Health
The Institute for Clinical Research and Health Policy Studies
35 Kneeland Street
Boston, MA 02111