Back to Results
Chief, Division of Rheumatology; Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
Department + Services
Medicine, Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology
Clinical Focus Areas
Osteoarthritis, general rheumatology, lupus
Research Focus Areas
Osteoarthritis, epidemiology, systematic reviews
Seeing Patients In
|Programs + Specialties
|Training + Education
University of Southampton Medical School, UK; Boston University School of Public Health; Bristol Royal Infirmary, UK; St. Thomas' Hospital, London; Royal United Hospital, UK
||Internal Medicine, Rheumatology
||View Accepted Insurances at Tufts MC + Tufts Children's Hospital
Tufts Medical Center
Biewend Building, Floor 4
260 Tremont St.
Boston, MA 02111
Phone #: 617-636-5990
Fax #: 617-636-2388
2021, "Top Doctor", Boston Magazine
2020, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2018/2019, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2018, Distinguished Clinical Research Achievement Award from the Clinical Research Forum
2017, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2015, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2014, ACR RA Clinical Treatment Guidelines, Literature Review Team Leader
2013, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2010-2013, NIH/NAME Study Section Member
2012, "Top Doctor," Boston Magazine
2012, "Top Doctor," U.S. News & World Report
2011, OARSI Chair OA Treatment Guidelines Development Committee
2010, ACR Chair Musculoskeletal Appropriateness Committee
2010, ACR REF /Amgen /Wyeth Rheumatology Fellowship Training Award
1. McAlindon TE, Bannuru RR, Sullivan MC, et al. OARSI guidelines for the non-surgical management of knee osteoarthritis. Osteoarthritis and cartilage / OARS, Osteoarthritis Research Society. Mar 2014;22(3):363-388.
2. Lu B, Driban JB, Duryea J, McAlindon T, Lapane KL, Eaton CB. Milk consumption and progression of medial tibiofemoral knee osteoarthritis: data from the osteoarthritis initiative. Arthritis care & research. Jun 2014;66(6):802-809.
3. Bannuru RR, Flavin NE, Vaysbrot E, Harvey W, McAlindon T. High-energy extracorporeal shock-wave therapy for treating chronic calcific tendinitis of the shoulder: a systematic review. Annals of internal medicine. Apr 15 2014;160(8):542-549.
4. McAlindon T, LaValley M, Schneider E, et al. Effect of vitamin D supplementation on progression of knee pain and cartilage volume loss in patients with symptomatic osteoarthritis: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA : the journal of the American Medical Association. Jan 9 2013;309(2):155-162.
5. Lee JY, Harvey WF, Price LL, Paulus JK, Dawson-Hughes B, McAlindon TE. Relationship of bone mineral density to progression of knee osteoarthritis. Arthritis and rheumatism. Jun 2013;65(6):1541-1546.
6. McAlindon T, Kissin E, Nazarian L, et al. American College of Rheumatology report on reasonable use of musculoskeletal ultrasonography in rheumatology clinical practice. Arthritis care & research. Nov 2012;64(11):1625-1640.
7. McAlindon T, Wang J, Formica M, et al. Feasibility and validity were demonstrated of an online case-control study using the prototype of recent-onset systemic lupus erythematosus. Journal of clinical epidemiology. Jul 2008;61(7):671-678.
8. McAlindon T, Formica M, Schmid CH, Fletcher J. Changes in barometric pressure and ambient temperature influence osteoarthritis pain. The American journal of medicine. May 2007;120(5):429-434.
9. McAlindon T, Formica M, LaValley M, Lehmer M, Kabbara K. Effectiveness of glucosamine for symptoms of knee osteoarthritis: results from an internet-based randomized double-blind controlled trial. The American journal of medicine. Nov 1 2004;117(9):643-649.
10. McAlindon T, Formica M, Kabbara K, LaValley M, Lehmer M. Conducting clinical trials over the internet: feasibility study. Bmj. Aug 30 2003;327(7413):484-487.
Timothy E. McAlindon, MD, MPH is a widely recognized expert in osteoarthritis. He has been supported by multiple grants including several from the National Institutes of Health. His research has been published in prestigious journals and have been influential in guiding osteoarthritis treatment. He serves as the Natalie V. Zucker and Milton O. Zucker Chair of Rheumatology at Tufts Medical Center.